Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How was this rigged Wibs, literally like a stage on an SM rig or was it on dive rite style ring bungee things

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    How was this rigged Wibs, literally like a stage on an SM rig or was it on dive rite style ring bungee things
    :-)

Need to reverse the regs, so they point down. In reality this isn't an issue, but you may need to bungee the SPG's up (back to the reg, a lot like stage regs). I've added two D-rings to my chest harness a couple of inches lower than the existing D-rings. This is used to attach the tins and allows for sufficient slack for the bungees to pull the tins back. No changes to the lower bolt-snap position.

The clipping on process is dead easy: bend over (no sniggering from the back...) and stand the tin upright, clip the top bolt snap to the (new) D-ring and stand up. Ooh, the tin raises up, clip the lower bolt snap on your waist. Repeat for the other tin.

Walk as far as you like.

When ready to jump in, it's bungee time -- as per any sidemount dive.

No DiveRite rings were involved with this. Just a good old Kent Tooling stage rigging kit and standard bungee (on my X-Deep Stealth 'tec' harness)

It makes Sidemount so easy, I sometimes dive like it on a boat as it's so popular. Oh, and any stages I simply clip to the top D-ring. If they're light they'll float up to the (steel) tins - and can conveniently use my front waist belt D-rings.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So the stage kit is inline with the cyl valve as per any normal stage and you can then alternate the cylinders between configurations without re-engineering?

So if I understand it the lower waist belt on an SM harness results in the stage sitting lower, and the bungees pull the valves in below your arm pit?

I'm just looking for a solution that means the least amount of messing about between configurations, because I dive stages on OC backmount and CCR and only need SM for a few specific applications.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just to confirm: steel 'primary' tins, normal stage rigging kit with two clips and soft pipe.

The stage kit is rigged 180 degrees from normal (i.e. opposite to a stage) with the valve pointing out/down (knobs out, spurs in as normal). The lower bolt snap is in the normal Sidemount position.

I only wear a small weight belt in the sea, most weight is on the spine (XDeep Stealth), so the weightbelt doesn’t get in the way.

Pictures would help!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Funnily enough thats how I rigged my kit, no advice given but my tins were already staged rigged and when putting togeteher the harnesI wanted to make sure I could attached the cylinders securely so if I jumped of a boat or got on a lift I wouldn't have wory about losing them or have them "bouncing around" . I stuck a second D-ring on lower just so I could play with things more easily on the first dives but it ended up as a permananat fixture
    I carried one stage (Ali 80)the same as wibs and then leashed anAli 40. (Neither of which used in anger it was just for practice/proof of context.)
    Last edited by Tony B; 15-08-2019 at 07:55 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    I was impressed with his suggestion of using a stage-mounting kit so there’s a top clip so you can carry the sodding cylinders using your harness (not good carrying tins using bungee)
    It amazes me that anyone wouldnít do this in the first instance, save as for fashion reasons or some misguided attempt at keeping things simple.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After considering all my options Iím going to go ccr
    Thanks for all the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudkook View Post
    After considering all my options I’m going to go ccr
    Thanks for all the advice

Fantastic decision, most flexible. Don’t waste any more money or time dicking about on OC.

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Where in North Devon are you?

TPG

My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Barnstaple Timmy