Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratio IX3M

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ratio IX3M

Hi,
    Is there anyone out there actually using a Ratio dive computer, and specifically the IX3M?

I am looking for a decent large screen which is readable on night dives.

The Ratio looks very interesting with the price being similar to the Suunto Eon Core which was another one that caught my eye at the Go Dive show.

I am currently only doing recreational diving with air or single mix Nitrox on single tanks (or single with SHTF covered by a pony(, and am planning on trying some sidemount diving in the future.

Thanks,
    Barnaby

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Looks great but play it safe and go for a Shearwater which we all know and love

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I liked the look of the Ratio too but there are too many buttons and lots of features I don't want while I'm diving. Also I hadn't seen anyone diving with it. I bought a Petrel 2 a couple of years ago and really like it. Still haven't seen anyone with a Ratio...

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I was looking at something to do monitoring for a CCR, I droped them an email asking about the connection on the side and cables for it.

Never heard back from them, put me right off. If a company won't get back to you when you asking questions that could lead to a sale, doesn't fill me with confidence for after sales support.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    I am currently only doing recreational diving with air or single mix Nitrox on single tanks (or single with SHTF covered by a pony(, and am planning on trying some sidemount diving in the future.
    Shearwater Perdix every time. They're great computers that give you all the info you need for all types of diving. Will cope with all diving styles from recreational through to serious technical diving. It's got a couple of screen modes; the recreational mode has limited information to not overload you with info.

The technical mode is just great, giving you all the info you need including some great features such as 'delta 5', i.e. what's your Time-To-Surface in five minutes time (which means you can easily work to a runtime).

It's got a terrifically clear display. Really simple two-button control user interface that's the best I've ever used (Suunto's on the other hand are probably the worst). I love having a single AA battery with a *reliable* battery gauge. It uses standard diving algorithms (unlike Suunto's made up ones).

Most of all, it works reliably and I trust it with my life. I can't give it higher praise than that.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's nice when a product is so good the customers are the advertisers, I've never had a Shearwater, never even seen one in use, but thanks to this forum it's #1 on my list of upgrade computers when I "accidentally" break my Suunto

Only trouble with all this good press is the prices are rising faster than my piggy bank!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another couple to consider is the OSTC Plus or the OSTC Sport (If you've not heard of Shearwater I doubt you'll have heard of Heinrichs Weikamp either). Similar to the Shearwaters in many ways but slightly different in others.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    It's nice when a product is so good the customers are the advertisers, I've never had a Shearwater, never even seen one in use, but thanks to this forum it's #1 on my list of upgrade computers when I "accidentally" break my Suunto

Only trouble with all this good press is the prices are rising faster than my piggy bank!
    I have two shearwaters. One attached to my CCR which is a Petrel. It comes hard wired into the CCR and drives the unit

The other is a stand alone Predator which they don't even make any more. This is my back up

I paid 500.00 for it second hand about 6 years ago?

It does gradient factors, it shows me my PP02 it shows me a 100 100GF emergency ascent profile and obviously does multiple gas on OC and CCR

If I am in the mood it also prints out nice graphs of my dive.

Even with my need for reading glases I find the screen easy to read

It has the option to plug in a PP02 monitoring system

I have never felt the need to "up grade" and its never failed me.

I am not kit shy, and ill spend big on something I feel will enhance my diving experience but IMHO theres realy nothing else I needed after the Petrel came out and its only benefit over the Preditor is its a bit smaller?

If its important......take two

DSC_7919_zpsjyn5yvlh by markchase8, on Flickr

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll throw my controversial opinion in here

I own a Perdix , and Eon Steel. THe Eon has about 700+ dives on it, the Perdix, 200. I also plays with the OSTC plus for about 100 dives but really would like to try the OSTC 4

I don't find the Perdix to be anything special, indeed I think it's over hyped. Yes it runs Buhlmann with GF. The Fused RGBM on the Suunto is pretty good too. I run my conservatism at 45/95 on the Perdix and P-2 on the Suunto and I get the same NDLs and Deco (for the dives I make - no more than 60 mins max 50m. Even on repetitive dives (my max is 48 over 12 days) they pretty much run side by side on NDL)

Both have their foibles strengths and weaknesses, but on balance I'd put the Eon Steel ahead of the Perdix. The Eon Screen, its customisation and data display are light years ahead of the Perdix. Obv we all have our personal preferences which can influence our opinion.

Hopefully later this year the New Firmware will be released which brings RGBM 2 and for the Steel only (Not the Core) Buhlmann with GF.

The Ratio I've only seen on paper, has some nice features but the prices I've seen doesn't offer enough incentive to buy it instead of the others.

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for all the information so far.

I have also had someone suggest the Liquivision Xeo, which seems a similar price point to the Shearwaters, and a bit more than the Ratio and Suunto Eon Core.

I will keep thinking (as I am not in a massive hurry to buy), but am surprised that there isn't anyone who has used a Ratio yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast