Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mares smart air

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mares smart air

Morning,

Considering buying the Mares smart air with transmitter, seems pretty reasonably priced and a good setup.

Im a new diver so don't want to be spending loads.

Any feedback on this computer? I am also considering the Mares quad air too

Thanks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Personally, I don't like transmitters. I couldn't dive with just a transmitter as its electronic and electronic things in salt water tend to fail and batteries tend to run out at the wrong moment, so being a bit of a luddite id HAVE to have a good old fashioned SPG.

If I had a SPG id tend to use that more than the transmitter which begs the question why have a transmitter?

But it will I am assuming give you real time data on SAC for the dive? which is fun and useful, so if it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it.

I have a couple of 20 year old Mares Air only computers that still work so if they are as bomb proof as those, it will be a good purchase.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madocks View Post
    Morning,

Considering buying the Mares smart air with transmitter, seems pretty reasonably priced and a good setup.

Im a new diver so don't want to be spending loads.

Any feedback on this computer? I am also considering the Mares quad air too

Thanks
    If this is the air integrated version of the Smart, it should be a nice computer. I have a Smart that I use as a backup sometimes (I prefer the larger puck style computers). It's got a lot of good features, works well and seems very good value for what it does - the Suunto equivalent costs quite a bit more. The interface is a bit less intuitive than Suunto's but then theirs can be used without even bothering to read the manual. Can't comment on the air integration - I personally like AI as a function but I've only used the Suunto one, which works very well but I have no idea what kind of information and reliability you'll get from a Mares one.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm with Mark on the usefulness of air integration computers. I really like data but they never enticed me in.

Seems like the computer and transmitter is £400 from SimplyScuba. Not a terrible price. If that's the money you want to spend then go for it. You're an adult and it pisses me off when people tell others not to spend their money.

I would have a look at what £400 will get you in terms of computer if you forego the air integration. It won't be an OSTC or Shearwater (unless you go second hand) but it might be something with a nicer screen. It will give you a better idea of the kind of features on offer. I'd prefer a good screen over the transmitter.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would agree with all the above, but as you state you don't want to spend too much I would look at something like Suunto Zoop which is half the price and a good computer and very easy to sell on if you want to upgrade at some point. A standard SPG is much more reliable and cost effective. I bought my last computer - Suunto Air 2 - when they were giving away the pressure sender unit for free and got one without the unit for just a few quid off.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    I would have a look at what £400 will get you in terms of computer if you forego the air integration. It won't be an OSTC or Shearwater (unless you go second hand) but it might be something with a nicer screen. It will give you a better idea of the kind of features on offer. I'd prefer a good screen over the transmitter.
    The new OSTC sport is 495 euro, so only slightly more and upgradeable too

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
    The new OSTC sport is 495 euro, so only slightly more and upgradeable too
    https://heinrichsweikamp.com/ostcsport2.html

Indeed
    I have the old version and love it, that screen is far far better than air intergration IMHO.
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did all of my OC diving with an OSTC sport. It's a lovely thing. Of all the diving kit I've ever owned, it was the nicest little thing to pick up. Made really well.

I fudged it a little to sneak in a bit of trimix diving before reluctantly selling it when I bought the unit. If my older version could have been upgraded, I'd still have it now. The fact that you can now upgrade it to the fully fledged tech version makes it a no brainer.

I'll change my opinion... If you want more than a zoop, buy the OSTC sport. Forget the air.

...unless you want the Mares... in which case buy the Mares and go diving.
    Last edited by NWdiver; 05-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Had the Quad Air for a couple of dives finding it easy to use with a nice clear display I've still to use the transmitter will still use my gauges it's more for downloading the info for my log book.
    Have a look at Decathlon and Mares Shops EU

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    I did all of my OC diving with an OSTC sport. It's a lovely thing. Of all the diving kit I've ever owned, it was the nicest little thing to pick up. Made really well.

I fudged it a little to sneak in a bit of trimix diving before reluctantly selling it when I bought the unit. If my older version could have been upgraded, I'd still have it now. The fact that you can now upgrade it to the fully fledged tech version makes it a no brainer.

I'll change my opinion... If you want more than a zoop, buy the OSTC sport. Forget the air.

...unless you want the Mares... in which case buy the Mares and go diving.

No brainer definitely OSTC Sport all the way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast