Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Largest selection of Wetsuits (for Juniors.) 5mm or thicker in the UK

Where in the UK stocks the largest selection of wetsuits that I can go and spend a couple of hours trying different models?

I want to Kit out my Juniors for the UK 3 seasons/winter in the Med. (I'd like 4 season UK but I don't think it is is realistic) I personally gave up on Snorkeling Freediving other than in the wifes thin Lidl suite or a hire a suit in the Med in summer/automn or the like, the fit is always crap regardless of what i tried.

I'm yet to find/try a wetsuit that is comfortable and warm.
    A suite where I don't have to fight the material so much that just moving a little amounts to excertion so I can actually free dive for a decent time. Whilst also being thick and tight enough that it does not flush, have large pockets of water. Soemthing I can spend long periods of time in the water in the UK in Spring Autumn (I guess winter is wishful thinking as I struggle to get 90 mins in a drysuit without going hypothermnic, that's 5mm neoprene drysuite, 2-3sets of long ski underwear and a 200g/m2 thinsulate undersuit).
    Last edited by Steph; 09-08-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lomo in Glasgow have a pretty good range of suits with most of them being cut for triathlons (which probably suits freediving).

I have to say that an open cell suit might be a better option though than a traditional diving style suit. Only issue with them seems to be they are more susceptible to damage due to the open cell nature. That makes it harder to get on as lubricant is advised to prevent damage to the suit. Never tried one myself though.

Found a link that might help - link

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks my plan was to take them to Lomo and Decathlon as Glasgow is reasonably local.
    Sadly according to my search either website they only got 1 model of 5mm Junior suite, and not a huge amount of size options within that.

I would travel anywhere in the UK if there is somewhere that basically stocks all brands and sizes of junior suits and have competent staff that can narrow down the selection by looking at the shape of my kids. Their patients for wriggling in and out of ill fitting wet suites will obviously be limited.
    Last edited by Steph; 09-08-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is this post so un-interesting that I only get one reply or do Go Dive, Simply Scuba, Mike Dive etc. really not have a physical shops where one could try a better selections of multiple brands models and sizes of junior wetsuites and booties etc. than the average LDS?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Is this post so un-interesting that I only get one reply or do Go Dive, Simply Scuba, Mike Dive etc. really not have a physical shops where one could try a better selections of multiple brands models and sizes of junior wetsuites and booties etc. than the average LDS?
    More likely is that fact that none of know the answer.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have you considered wandering into Scapa Scuba in Stromness and asking them? I doubt they have a massive range but they do a made to measure service and they're round the corner from you. I've always found them very helpful.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I suspect that will be because in your first post seeing your location and that you failed to mention you would be
    prepared to travel in the UK, most reading this would have given up even if they did know of a location.

For the biggest selection need to look at the Southern outfits as the sea is warmer-longer and that means
    a longer season and more sales, hence more stock and choice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    I suspect that will be because in your first post seeing your location and that you failed to mention you would be
    prepared to travel in the UK, most reading this would have given up even if they did know of a location.

For the biggest selection need to look at the Southern outfits as the sea is warmer-longer and that means
    a longer season and more sales, hence more stock and choice.
    Agreed. Probably the best suggestion would be O Three and even then I doubt they have a very big selection. The Internet has killed off the physical retail business long ago on top of which it is a small market for the type of suits the OP hopes to look at. Somewhere that does wetsuits is going to be mostly lighter suits for watersports like kite surfing. Once you get over the 3-5mm suits you are in drysuit territory.

You want the stuff for the Med and the best place to shop for it will be in situ when you get there.

Big range of 7mm here: https://www.palanquee.com/plongee/co...s/filter/7_mm_

This shop is near us in Montpellier and it is a small shop. No way on earth they have more than a few suits on display. Lots of kite surfers, not so many divers.
    Last edited by Chrisch; 22-08-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    One reason might be that most of us use drysuits in all 4 seasons in the UK. I've only ever dived with 2 buddies in wetsuits in the UK.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Go Dive have a physical shop. It's in Derby, so quite a trek from Orkney. SDS in Sheffield also used to have lots of wetsuits but that was a long time ago. In either case, I have no idea if they have lots of juniors suits, so I'm going with Ian@1904's suggestion - most of us simply don't know the answer.