Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do unused regs need servicing?

I had my regs serviced about 4 years ago. I used them once or twice afterwards, then for one reason or another I didn't dive for 4 years. The regs have sat in my dive bag in the house all of that time. I now find myself going on a diving holiday and was wondering if my regs will still be safe? do the O rings 'dry out' if not used for a long time? Do you think I should have them re-serviced even though they've only been used twice since the last service?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    O rings do not dry out and have a fairly long shelf life. The issue really will be whether the one or two uses have left any corrosion inside the regs. Salt attracts moisture and can cause little "pinprick" corrosion points that then cut the O ring. If you rinsed them thoroughly and kept them in a dry place I would think they will be exactly the same as the last time you used them. If you left salt in them and let the damp near them then they need at least a thorough inspection, which is essentially what a service is anyway.

A bad service is worse than no service and most freeflows appear to be after a service. What would be worst case on the holiday? Can you rent regs over there? Do you have access to an IP gauge to check the IP? If it is OK chances are the regs are OK. Will your local shop have a quick look for a free or are they one of the many that just see pound signs in your eyes?

Hard to say really. 90% chance all is fine.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Chris that makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty good at looking after my kit so I'm sure they will have been rinsed properly the last time I use them. I can definitely hire regs where I'm going so assuming they don't fail at 30m I'll be able to sort something out.

I think I'll risk taking them and maybe see if I can arrange an easy, shallow dive, local to the dive centre for my first outing of the week.

Cheers

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by makk509 View Post
    I used them once or twice afterwards, then for one reason or another I didn't dive for 4 years. The regs have sat in my dive bag in the house all of that time. I now find myself going on a diving holiday
    Quote Originally Posted by makk509 View Post
    I think I'll risk taking them and maybe see if I can arrange an easy, shallow dive, local to the dive centre for my first outing of the week.
    The regs wouldn't be my main concern .... surely you should be arranging to ease yourself back in anyway affter a 4 year gap rather than jumping in and down to 30m

I'd have thought you'll be expected to do a "scuba review" dive by the centre anyway

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Strip and lube... my motto for life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I only service regs when they actually need it.

Mind you, I bought a set of Apeks XTX200s recently for €150. I serviced them on Monday. It took me over 5 ymhours!!! Absolutely everything that could be seized was seized. I had to use a hammer to brute force the spanners! Mind you, €50 for a 1st stage kit, 2 x 2nd stage kits and a couple of mouth pieces and we were good as new.

Test dived tonight, all good
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    The regs wouldn't be my main concern .... surely you should be arranging to ease yourself back in anyway affter a 4 year gap rather than jumping in and down to 30m

I'd have thought you'll be expected to do a "scuba review" dive by the centre anyway
    Fair point :-)

I did a pool session with my old club last week just as a refresher and I've informed the centre I'm diving with that I haven't dived for a while so I'm expecting the first dip to be fairly gentle.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by M-J-J View Post
    Strip and lube... my motto for life
    Seems like a motto to live by :-)

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post

Serious question. How do you know when the need it?

Mind you, I bought a set of Apeks XTX200s recently for €150. I serviced them on Monday. It took me over 5 ymhours!!! Absolutely everything that could be seized was seized. I had to use a hammer to brute force the spanners! Mind you, €50 for a 1st stage kit, 2 x 2nd stage kits and a couple of mouth pieces and we were good as new.

Good effort :-)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post

Even with the service costs , that was one hell of a bargain. Wouldn't mind coming across something like that myself (could probably sell them for a profit at that level).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast