Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lundy - August 2019

Just back from my dive club's annual trip to Lundy and had an amazing time as always. Lundy is absolutely my favourite UK diving site, given it has the wonderful seal interactions as well as lots of life given it is a protected area. Quick run down of the trip below.

Accommodation
    We stayed in Ilfracombe again at the Ocean Backpackers again which offers clean and comfortable digs at a reasonable price in the centre of town and only a short walk from the harbour to get the boats: http://www.oceanbackpackers.co.uk/. Also handy is that Ilfracombe & North Devon BSAC club are next door and can provide air fills if booked in advance.

The Boat
    We were on Obsession II and couldn't fault a thing. The boat is spacious for 12 people with kit, with room to sit inside and out. It is a hard boat with a lift so makes things nice and easy. Details here: https://www.lundydiving.co.uk/. The crew were great and offered a nice selection of hot drinks, water and chocolate biscuits . Took us about 1.5 hours each way to get to Lundy island and the journey was comfortable.

The Diving
    There were big spring tides the weekend we went so the vis wasn't the best (about 2-4m with a lot of particles in the water) so not great for photos but the seals were very playful and we saw lots of life on the other dives too. Water temp was around 16/17 degrees Celsius. We dived the following:

Dive 1: Brazen Ward - seal dive (Saturday)
    For this dive we were mostly quite shallow (around 5-8m) just bimbling around in the kelp looking for seals. They kept buzzing us, but were quite shy on the Saturday morning and not nibbling the fins so much. Still very lovely to see them though and they were putting on quite a show with their swimming and moves!

Dive 2: The Knoll Pins (Saturday)
    This is a great dive site with pinnacles and you can choose your depth from very shallow to around 30m in the gullies. Lots of life on the pinnacles including anemones of all colours, crabs, lobsters, mermaids purses, nudibranchs, flatworms and wrasse all over the place. Great place for critter spotting!

Dive 3 - Gannets Rock (Sunday)
    Another shallow seal dive but today the seals were out in force and VERY playful. There was a lot of fin nibbling going on and they were all around us playing in the kelp. This reminded me why this is my favourite place to dive! The seals did make a nice bit of murk batting the decomposing kelp around though

Dive 4 - Pete's Pinnacles
    A great dive onto a broken up wreck looking at one boiler and then heading down onto a wall. So much life here, the anemones cover the rocky walls and form a beautiful multicoloured covering, also lots of crabs and lobsters, nudibranchs and much more. A really great place again for critter spotting! You can choose to stay shallow or head down to about 24m.

All in all a great weekend. Plenty of places to eat and drink in and around Ilfracombe too so great for a weekend break. Until next time!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great write up as usual and pics .

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Need to start diving there again. Iíve no excuse really, Iím only 20 mins from Ilfracombe 😂😂😂

But in my defence Iím only there Mon-Fri & Iíve been out of the country for half this year so far.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for sharing Smiley.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Thanks for sharing Smiley.
    Couldn't let the lovely Eddie down on the UK trip report promise
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fabulous report - looks wonderful!!