Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sadly, the caravans at one end are behind a road of (precarious) houses. I think that's true at the other end too - I walked past them last week on the coast path and now can't remember! The cliff face is made up of tiny sections of fallen chavvy gardens though, I noticed some pampas grass halfway up.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Sadly, the caravans at one end are behind a road of (precarious) houses. I think that's true at the other end too - I walked past them last week on the coast path and now can't remember! The cliff face is made up of tiny sections of fallen chavvy gardens though, I noticed some pampas grass halfway up.
    I actually love it. It's a surreal environment. A much needed reminder who is boss. I love the wooden breakwaters too, often with a big stone stuck in them so hard you can only imagine the force of the water that placed it there. You would need some powerful hydraulic machine to get the stone out. On a warm winter day when the sea is calm it is almost impossible to comprehend how such a "nice" body of water could do such things.

I miss fishing there. It's hard to think the cod have gone. Humans need some sense knocking into them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The only building in Overstrand that wasn't lost to the sea was a revolutionary pavilion made of special paper - it burned down. The cod have recently been replaced by pollock and red mullet, but unfortunately the angling trip boats and spear fishermen have noticed and the numbers are dropping fast. If I ever meet the dickhead who can neither aim nor dispatch his victims, I'll be holding onto his legs for a while.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The only building in Overstrand that wasn't lost to the sea was a revolutionary pavilion made of special paper - it burned down. The cod have recently been replaced by pollock and red mullet, but unfortunately the angling trip boats and spear fishermen have noticed and the numbers are dropping fast. If I ever meet the dickhead who can neither aim nor dispatch his victims, I'll be holding onto his legs for a while.
    Your knowledge of marine biology is probably greater than mine. I assume that both pollack and red mullet are not migratory in the same was as cod? The cod used to come to spawn in the southern North Sea and I always felt that the best way to keep a harvestable surplus was to let them do that before hoovering them up. Once they had produced their eggs and covered the sea bed in a couple of meters of them the next generation was safe. (Safe ish maybe)

Where fish are territorial you can only take a few to leave a healthy breeding population. If you empty an area it then requires an excess somewhere else to move in. The same applies to badgers and explains why shooting them to control bTB is a moronic policy driven by something other than a real desire to control that terrible disease.

Sadly conservation is not uppermost in the mind of much of the sea angling community unlike freshwater anglers. Those of us that do care tend to be ridiculed rather than listened to. The BASS (Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society) called for a ban on gill netting 30 or more years ago. Gill nets now are pretty much the standard for most commercial fishing round the world. The plastic nets also get discarded or damaged and turn to "ghostfishing". When they have destroyed millions of fish they then break down into microplastic to poison the fish that are left and to enter the human food chain.

But, hey, that's life. Greedy idiots that don't listen and sanctimonious dicks like me that keep saying "I told you so". For an intelligent (allegedly) species we don't learn much do we?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The pollack and red mullet both seem to be transient summer visitors, I assume the mullet are from the south and enjoying the nice warm water, really not sure about the pollack. We do tend to have a few resident cod, but they are very big and old. The dickheads who take too much at the same time do the same with bass and cuttlefish, but they know best...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The pollack and red mullet both seem to be transient summer visitors, I assume the mullet are from the south and enjoying the nice warm water, really not sure about the pollack. We do tend to have a few resident cod, but they are very big and old. The dickheads who take too much at the same time do the same with bass and cuttlefish, but they know best...
    Diving out of Brighton we used to see a fair number of red mullet. I think the warm water from the channel is heading north. Pollack are everywhere. There was always a good stock of pollack and coalfish off the north east. I used to catch very very small ones off Bacton in the summer. They were about 5-6cm long. There are also some cod that do not migrate. As an angler we called them rock cod. They tended to be a more red colour but AFAIK they are the same species as the grey ones, just a behavioural difference. Again a decent stock off the north east, Whitby and up from there. I also think quite a number of cod were resident on the wrecks and figured life was easier to stay put.

Whitby used to be quite the place to go for wreck fishing. Sadly the overfishing by the charter boats and greedy anglers spoiled that. The boat skippers used to keep the catch and sell it off for extra income. It was not uncommon to try to fish out all the ling to remove them. They tend to swim over the wreck and so take the jigs first and stop people getting down to the cod. Never saw the point in jig fishing for cod to be honest. Again greed is the motivation. Ling are good eating so why not just enjoy them?

Grey mullet have been around forever. There were thousands of them in Yarmouth harbour. When I lived in Ipswich I used to fish the dock for them. They would come and feed near the dockside where the animal feed was unloaded. The street lights drew them in and provided lighting to gear up. Most locals said they wouldn't eat anything out the dock and thought I was mad but I had some good fish and they were jolly tasty. Many "old school" sea angers say mullet are inedible. Time moves on and the docks are full of plastic boats, antifouling and wankers. I imagine the mullet are still there but some busybody will stop you fishing, even assuming you can park dockside. The old security guy used to come and chat to me and see what I had caught - he thought I was mad.

Ahhh. I feel nostalgia creeping through my bones

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Plenty of Cod in Mary Jane's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    More added, including a terribly exciting small flat blue sponge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cool, especially like the group of tiny Doto

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567