X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finless
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Word Q.

I no longer have access to MS Word so I can't experiment (just downloaded Libre Office). Also, I know that this is pretty basic stuff so I'm certain that the answer is simple and I shall look daft for not knowing it (never worried me so far).

Someone has created a form and has set up the page as if it is in 4 columns (if done on a spreadsheet it would physically be 4 columns).

Column 1 - will have pretyped text such as NAME / TEL etc.
    Column 2 - is all blank but users will type, for example, their name.
    Column 3 - has more text such as REFERENCE / OTHER REFERENCE etc.
    Column 4 - is all blank and where users will type, for example, a reference.

The separation between Col 1 and 3 has been created by using the TAB key and/or the SPACEBAR.

The creator wants to anchor the preset TEXT in Col 1 & 3 so that these headings do not move when people type too much info into Col 2 & 4. I don't know how/if Col 2 & 4 are defined.

Is it possible to do this or better to start again and create the form using proper formatting (which I hope sopmeone will explain).

I'm off to have a try on Libre Word but have so little experience that I don't even know if it will read 365 WORD DOC files.
    Last edited by Finless; 05-08-2019, 02:01 PM.
  • Finless
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Oh dear, Libre Office is looking a bit FLAKY at the moment and taking ages to do anything. Might have to reboot.

I used to have MS Office and then was persuaded to change to Office365 and then that company closed and stopped paying for Office 365 and now I have nothing! For my needs, these days, I don't need O365 and I'm not paying for it in order to help someone out!

Bloody pooters!

Comment

• ManualOverride
      Established TDF Member
      • Jul 2017

Anyone can use Microsoft Office for free as long as you are online:
      With Microsoft 365 for the web you can edit and share Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files on your devices using a web browser.

You can get Office Home for a year for about £50 from reputable sellers, which is not bad really. (~£4 per month)

Edit... £52.95 from Amazon:
      Last edited by ManualOverride; 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Nickpicks
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Finless
        I no longer have access to MS Word so I can't experiment (just downloaded Libre Office). Also, I know that this is pretty basic stuff so I'm certain that the answer is simple and I shall look daft for not knowing it (never worried me so far).

Someone has created a form and has set up the page as if it is in 4 columns (if done on a spreadsheet it would physically be 4 columns).

Column 1 - will have pretyped text such as NAME / TEL etc.
        Column 2 - is all blank but users will type, for example, their name.
        Column 3 - has more text such as REFERENCE / OTHER REFERENCE etc.
        Column 4 - is all blank and where users will type, for example, a reference.

The separation between Col 1 and 3 has been created by using the TAB key and/or the SPACEBAR.

The creator wants to anchor the preset TEXT in Col 1 & 3 so that these headings do not move when people type too much info into Col 2 & 4. I don't know how/if Col 2 & 4 are defined.

Is it possible to do this or better to start again and create the form using proper formatting (which I hope sopmeone will explain).

I'm off to have a try on Libre Word but have so little experience that I don't even know if it will read 365 WORD DOC files.
        So, they've used TABs to try and create a table, rather than creating a table, which will stop the longer text entry from shifting the next one along.
        (and I bet they have "Excellent computer skills in MS office" on their CV). Grrr.

Get the creator to select the "table" data and on the "insert" part of the ribbon, click "Table" - "Convert text to table" - tell it to separate text at Tabs.
        Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• Finless
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nickpicks
          So, they've used TABs to try and create a table, rather than creating a table, which will stop the longer text entry from shifting the next one along.
          (and I bet they have "Excellent computer skills in MS office" on their CV). Grrr.

No, it is for my Big Bruv and he employs himself .... if you see what I mean.

Comment

• Moleshome
            TDF Member
            • Jun 2017

Still doesn't qualify for that special circle of hell reserved for people who use Excel for databases.

Comment

• Nickpicks
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Moleshome
              Still doesn't qualify for that special circle of hell reserved for people who use Excel for databases.
              Oh, yes!

And I used to work with one guy who would use Lotus 123 (before Excel took over the spreadsheet world) to write reports!

Comment

• Finless
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nickpicks
                Oh, yes!

And I used to work with one guy who would use Lotus 123 (before Excel took over the spreadsheet world) to write reports!
                Lotus 123? Quality!

I can reaaly shift around a 123 spreadsheet.

Comment

• Nickpicks
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Finless
                  Lotus 123? Quality!

I can reaaly shift around a 123 spreadsheet.
                  Yes, but we used to use WordPerfect 5.1 for writing documents.

Comment

• Moleshome
                    TDF Member
                    • Jun 2017

I hated WordPerfect. We used to use Wordstar 2000 for basic stuff or Interleaf for complex documents.

Comment

Working...