Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Conundrum?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Conundrum?

Iím currently near Weymouth until the 17th Aug and I want to go diving, I have all my gear with me. I donít have a buddy and one of the local dive shops is wanting me to pay £80 on top of the normal dive fee to provide a guide as I havenít dived in the UK before, all my dives have been in the med sea. I am AOW but still a novice. Does this seem reasonable? I presume if I had a buddy this wouldnít be the case. If it is, itís certainly putting me off diving in the UK.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Diving in the UK can be a bit of a steep learning curve. Tides, poor visibility, and water temperature just for starters.
    What sort of dive did you have in mind? Are you doing a wreck inside the harbour or something a little more ambitious at the 30m depth?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just an easy dive inside the harbour would be ok just to get me used to UK diving. Water temp at the moment here is 18c, I have dived in the med in Dec Jan where the temp has been 15c so temp wise it’s not a problem. I just wasn’t prepared to be told they want an extra £80 because I don’t have a buddy, in Spain they just buddy you up with someone.

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginner View Post
    Iím currently near Weymouth until the 17th Aug and I want to go diving, I have all my gear with me. I donít have a buddy and one of the local dive shops is wanting me to pay £80 on top of the normal dive fee to provide a guide as I havenít dived in the UK before, all my dives have been in the med sea. I am AOW but still a novice. Does this seem reasonable? I presume if I had a buddy this wouldnít be the case. If it is, itís certainly putting me off diving in the UK.
    You say that you donít have a buddy. Who are you planning to dive with? UK is much more oriented around independent pairs of divers doing their own dives rather than a group of buddy pairs being led around by a dive master. Consequently the model of being paired up with a stranger on the day of the dive doesnít really work, especially if the dive centre doesnít know you.

In other words, the dive centre is offering you someone whose time needs to be paid for (including travel time and and back on a boat, I assume, as well as time in water). Also, if theyíre sending you out with a guide, thatís a space for a paying customer which they canít sell.

Ian has pointed out some of the conditions in the Uk which may be less favourable than you are used to. The guide is taking responsibility for introducing you to these (you acknowledge that youíre a novice). Even if you had a buddy with a similar diving background to yourself, a guide might be worth considering if you were planning anything other than an easy shore dive.

All things considered, £80 for a guide doesnít seem unreasonable (at least to me).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’m of similar opinion to Iain above.

It may be better value to get the dive centre to teach you something rather than just pay for a buddy. Some time with a instructor with the right attitude will get you up to speed with the environment and teach some useful UK skills (mid-water dsmb, ascending in a current, surface swell, rhib exits and identifying typical wreck bits).

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks all, advice taken, I’ve booked myself in for a dive. But just to clarify some of the points from the last post, I have done all of the above in except wreck diving.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well the HSE requirements are that as you are an AOW diver and hence not rescue trained, there should be two people in the water with you (Guide plus Safety Diver for the Guide) plus surface cover (which may of course be a boat skipper) - so you need three resource to look after you in the water - further information here http://www.hse.gov.uk/diving/recreat...-infosheet.htm.