X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arty
    New TDF Member
    • Jul 2019

Pony cylinder

I've been diving with a 3-litre pony cylinder which is attached by a metalsub to my main cylinder. The problem that I have with this is that it is very difficult to reach over my right shoulder to open it due to my short arm.

I'm thinking of 'inverting' the cylinder so that the valve is upside down which will allow me to open the cylinder.

Does this seem a workable solution. I'm open to suggestions.
  • Spirit of Guernsey
    Established WTF Member
    • Dec 2012

Turn it on before kitting up.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• Mark Chase
      Old but keen
      • Dec 2012

Yes it works fine. You might need a slightly longer hose

Personally when running the pony that way id necklace the regulator and just leave the pony on.

I didn't bother having a second reg on the main tank. In an OOA id go necklace

In a gas share id go necklace and hand off main tank

Comment

• bottle maker
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

If you are carrying the pony as an independent gas source then it needs to on ready to use immediately. You also need to practice using it so that in a genuine out of gas its use is secured nature. and you know how far the gas will take you.

Comment

• Tel
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Arty
          I've been diving with a 3-litre pony cylinder which is attached by a metalsub to my main cylinder. The problem that I have with this is that it is very difficult to reach over my right shoulder to open it due to my short arm.

I'm thinking of 'inverting' the cylinder so that the valve is upside down which will allow me to open the cylinder.

Does this seem a workable solution. I'm open to suggestions.

Yep it's fine, whenever I use or teach pony this is always the way

Inverting keeps hoses from the main rig clean and yes the valve is very easy to access.
          Also means hose can be followed from the valve.
          As has been mentioned will need a slightly longer reg hose, but not OTT - 1m is fine.
          Only thing to watch is the valve head grounding on bench etc. Din is def best for this config.

Comment

• Arty
            New TDF Member
            • Jul 2019

If I do that it could go into free-flow as I enter the water.

Comment

• dwhitlow
              Coastal Member
              • Dec 2012

Why do you need to reach the valve? Surely it is on?

I used mine like this for a few years and it was switched on at all times, the regulator was necklaced under my chin and there was an SPG I could read to check remaining gas.

Comment

• dwhitlow
                Coastal Member
                • Dec 2012

Perhaps the second stage needed adjustment or service?

Comment

• Tel
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

1. Charge the system, shut down, jump in, no FF it's ready to use by switching on.
                  2. Charge the system, shut down, jump in, no FF, switch on check function and away you go.
                  3. Switch on, Jump in, no FF, carry on the dive.

Three trains of thought depending on your POV as to readiness, but personally I work with #3.
                  I've seen an incident with a diver at Stoney years ago (admittedly on a twinset) that almost had
                  a very bad day because nothing was on, he failed to open his valves and his buddy was a mess.

If you jump in with your primary on and the pony FF, so what?
                  If you jump in with your primary off isn't that what the pony/redundancy is for?

Mind none of this 'should' happen which is why the phrase is 'shit' happens

Comment

• Mark Chase
                    Old but keen
                    • Dec 2012

SO could a twin set then because that's how you dive those.

Same problem with deco cylinders or bailouts on a CCR

Just get a reg you can turn down and don't have it tuned to the edge of free flow. Apex ATX50 is my choice.

Comment

• NWdiver
                      TDF Member
                      • Oct 2015

Underwhelming results from the overnight pony thread so far...

I echo the above comments. Invert it if you need to. Have it switched on at all times. Any gas source that I might have to switch to without notice is kept on. The only cylinders I've ever dived shut are deco gasses where you know you have a nice calm gas switch.

Bailouts are on.

Comment

• jturner
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

So could your octo but I assume you jump in with the main cylinder opened?!! If it does freeflow, stop it. At the end of the day, inverting it is fine if you want to but how many times have you needed to turn the cylinder off underwater? Personally, I would always have the pony fully on and dive with my bailout stages (on CCR) open too and I can count the number of times I've had a freeflow on 2 fingers (and neither were a significant event). I suggest you might be overthinking the problem here, or your pony regs are in serious need of a service!

Originally posted by dwhitlow
                        Why do you need to reach the valve? Surely it is on?

I used mine like this for a few years and it was switched on at all times, the regulator was necklaced under my chin and there was an SPG I could read to check remaining gas.
                        Likewise.
                        The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• steelemonkey
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

I use mine inverted and turned on.
                          Paul.
                          If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                          Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2016

I'm very dissapointed with the poor advice so far

Surely the correct answer is buy a Rebreather?

Comment

• Scubaguy
                              TDF Member
                              • Feb 2019

2 pony's with a Scrubber in between, wait for someone to provide a funny pic now

Please dont tempt me, I need to buy my dive it again and re-start diving still the Reg can always go on a Bail out Cylinder

Comment

Working...