Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Retractors - Is there a difference between diving v fishing ones?

Hi,

I am after a retractor just to use on my mini torch which I store in my bcd pocket and take out when needed. For extra security I like to use a retractor and clip it to the inside of my pocket. I'm just wondering why it is double the price for this diving retractor and whether a fishing retractor would do the job just as well?

https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/a...retractor.aspx for like £26

v something like these at half the price or less -

https://everything.bargains/products...oaAu0cEALw_wcB

OR

https://www.safetyliftingear.com/pro...waAhsvEALw_wcB

Thanks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The obvious aside I would discount to tools restraint one because of the influence of being dry use as apposed to immersed in water use.

So that leaves the fishing one or the diving one. Not being cynical I would not think for a moment that the price is anything to do with the
    fact that the product is aimed at divers so it must be a quality thing.

Although the fishing one looks robust it is designed to be dry most of the time so that is the only thing I can think of that makes it not
    suitable for long term submersion in sea water?

But if you are cynical and think the diving one is too expensive you could always try the fishing one, if it fails I imagine it will be the spring
    retractor mechanism that will fail and hopefully not the actual connection point to either end.

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Save your money it's not needed.

Your BCD has two pull down shoulder tabs usually with a plastic D-ring on the end.
    If it's small enough to put in the BC pocket i'm assuming that it's a small hand-held.
    Either use the lanyard already on the torch or fit a longer one if needed.

Thread the lanyard through the D-ring on the BC and then over the torch body so the
    torch is now attached to the D-ring through the lanyard.

Undo the pocket slightly and stow the torch with lanyard just peeping through.

Once the tab is pulled tight there is enough slack added to the lanyard to enable the torch to be
    used not quite at arms length, but pretty close. Torch is attached at all times and if it's dropped
    no worries.

Extremely simple system that we've been using on multiple rigs and with a lot of divers for
    decades, it just works

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Save your money it's not needed.

Your BCD has two pull down shoulder tabs usually with a plastic D-ring on the end.
    If it's small enough to put in the BC pocket i'm assuming that it's a small hand-held.
    Either use the lanyard already on the torch or fit a longer one if needed.

Yes I thought of this but was thinking I may like a little more length. I will however give it ago.

Thread the lanyard through the D-ring on the BC and then over the torch body so the
    torch is now attached to the D-ring through the lanyard.

Undo the pocket slightly and stow the torch with lanyard just peeping through.

Once the tab is pulled tight there is enough slack added to the lanyard to enable the torch to be
    used not quite at arms length, but pretty close. Torch is attached at all times and if it's dropped
    no worries.

Extremely simple system that we've been using on multiple rigs and with a lot of divers for
    decades, it just works