Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Condensation

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Condensation

Maybe I'm just a sweaty sod but using a membrane suit (Oceanic flex thing) I seem to get a fair amount of condensation on the undersuit, usually happens at inland sites where access is questionable but have also had it after a boat dive too.

Is there an obvious antidote?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Did you find yourself feeling warm at the site? I guess keeping it unzipped or the top half off as much as possible could help. Make sure you are working efficiently without duplication of effort and don’t rush, work slowly and methodically.........or you have a leak.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The name 'drysuit' is a misnomer - they should be called dampsuits! Everyone I know has this problem. I always seem to get damp knees. Why I get more condensation in that area than in others, I don't know.

All you can do to reduce it is do what JB2Cool suggests and don't zip up until the last minute. Any surface exercise with a closed suit will result in perspiration which can't evaporate in the closed environment of a drysuit.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can sell you a suit where perspiration evaporates out through the porous fabric. There are 1 or 2 other drawbacks though.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Google just told me an average person sweats around 1 litre per hour during exercise. Standing around in a drysuit, or finning a bit, shouldn't produce that much but it will still be quite a lot that will condense on the coldest surface.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have an old dry suit that leaks like sieves (Dry Until Immersed) so go for that as it probably offers good ventilation

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You can flush your suit with dry air from a cylinder prior to jumping in, works for me in the current temps we're experiencing.
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Strangely enough 1 of my knees was damper than the other yesterday, probably an upalatable reflection of my trim or lack of it.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I dive a trilaminate with a weezle undersuit. The weezle is designed to wick away sweat from the body, so it condenses on the outer layer of the undersuit and looks like it's soaked.

So much that I thought I had a leak when I first got that undersuit, but it's not the suit leaking - it is just condensation. It evaporates quickly once the suit is open.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.