X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonG
    Established TDF Member
    • Apr 2017

Tech freediving

DeeperBlue.com: Technical Freediving: Are Breathhold Divers Ready To Mix It Up?.
    There are a growing number of top-level Freedivers starting to look into utilizing tools and techniques from the Technical Diving world. Michael Menduno delves into this cutting edge thinking.
  • Rich1280
    TDF Member
    • Mar 2013

Fascinating article, I like respiratory physiology anyway, but some of this is a bit out there with interesting risks. Blowing off CO2 with hyperventilation and flushing nitrogen to increase your O2 reserve gets really interesting with respiration not ventilation. Similar in the stuff with "Packing" your lungs with a single breath at 6m to increase capacity. Not a free diver by any means, but would be curious to play with some of this.
    Rich

Comment

• BenL
      Gimme a medal
      • Dec 2012

If you're at all interested in the art of freediving, it starts with Jacques Mayol. Homo Delphinus is the core text; The Big Blue is the movie; and Herbert Nitsch dived the Dahab blue hole arch in just his speedos. William Trubridge is at the vanguard now. All of these people are utterly astonishing.

p.s., My dad did the SETT at Portsmouth in late 60s. 200' there and back. Paltry now, but Not many could do that then.
      I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Comment

• Nickpicks
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

I heard about the "Packing" the lungs at a conference.

My thought is what's going to happed when the freediver forgets to "unpack" those lungs on the way back up past 6m?
        I know that they'll say that they won't forget, but how many times have people stepped over a pot of paint on their wayup a ladder, and straight into the same pot on the way back down the ladder?
        Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• JonG
          Established TDF Member
          • Apr 2017

Packing is slightly different or was when I was freediving, it was simply gulping in more air than usual until your lungs were as full as they could be and relying on the volume reduction to make your chest cavity more comfortable on descent, we never used o2 or took a breath at depth tho.

Comment

Working...