Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

installing si tech permanent wrist cuff system and neck ring myself ?

hey, guys. I want to replace my drysuit wrist and neck seals to quick changeable ones and plan to do it myself. but the big problem is the wrist seals due to the diameter of the cuff. If the sleeve cuff is a little larger than the PU inner ring, is there any solution to that? what kind of adhesive would be suitable for the job ?is heat melted tape suitable for the job?(trilaminate drysuit ). It would be appreciated if you could recommend me some books, articles or videos. thanks a lot.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There are proper two part glues that do it look on the websites seaskin.co.uk or drysuits.co.uk, both will also talk you through what you need if unsure.

As long as the suit will fit against the PU ring without creases or undue tension then you will be fine. I have cut drysuits higher up the arm to allow for more space but not had too much, can you send a picture? If its miles out its likely to peel away over time quicker than normal.

All that said i have always used aquasure because its easy, its not what the shops use because it can be messier if you are not careful and its difficult to remove if you want to change anything in the future but frankly no aquasure repair i have even made leaked. I have had several leaks from seams, wrist and neck seals etc which were done by a professional with the 'proper' glue and that i paid a lot of money for.

Sitech website has links to fitting instruction PDFs as well which is always a good start!

Edit...this link, click on related files and it tells you all you need to know direct from Sitech!

http://www.sitech.se/products/modula...uick-neck.aspx
    Last edited by M-J-J; 13-07-2019 at 07:47 AM.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bostik 2402 or equivalent two-part adhesive.

Clean both surfaces, apply a thin layer of glue and let it dry for half an hour. When dry, apply another thin layer and leave to dry for another 8-10 minutes until touching it with a knuckle comes away clean. Then match up the surfaces and roller into place.

The hole in your suit where the neck seal goes is not conical or any other funny shape. It is simply a round hole cut in a flat sheet of material. So flatten out your suit out until it looks like a round hole in a flat sheet again, to make life much easier. A disc of wood cut slightly bigger than the hole in your suit and some double sided tape will help enormously. You can then simply glue on the neck ring like gluing a bottle top to a sheet of cardboard.

If your cuff ring is only a millimetre or two too small for your suit sleeve you could try using drysuit seam tape, glued in layers with two part glue, to "fatten" the ring up before gluing into the suit. Other than that I would suggest looking at a ring system that has multiple sizes to cope with different sleeve diameters such as the Kubi.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    the diameter of the sleeve cuff is 28cm so I have to cut a little sleeve out.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    kubi is a good product but I can't find any gluing guide on it. maybe it's more on factory fitted

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Seaskin's website says NOT to use the normal 2 part that you'd use for a latex seal (as it won't stick well to the PU cuff ring) but to use "PVC Repair Glue" link.

I's also recommend you look at the cost of the option of getting it fitted professionally - when I wanted a silicone neck seal, it only cost me about 20 more to have it supplied and fitted by Otter than I could buy the kit to DIY (plus I'd have had to buy the right glue etc)

Slight Edit: Just noticed you're in Hong Kong. It's a bit of a long way to send it to Otter then, but you must have a local drysuit repairer / manufacturer.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just found a drysuit factory to get them installed and just cost me RMB 200 (approximately USD 30). The workmanship is so so, can't be compared to the factory installed ones but it is not leak by now.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Seaskin's website says NOT to use the normal 2 part that you'd use for a latex seal (as it won't stick well to the PU cuff ring) but to use "PVC Repair Glue" link.
    Yep, we had PU rings installed on an otter suit a few years ago when they were quite new to the market by Seaskin and they quite literally fell off after a few dives. They re-fitted them using different glue and they were perfect.

Sharon
    Last edited by frogfone; 08-11-2019 at 06:59 AM.