Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Upgrade advice

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Upgrade advice

Hi

Iíve been using a canon G15 for a long time now is a Fantasea housing and Iím thinking about upgrading. I shoot mainly small to macro shots but also like to shoot some video. Iíve been looking at the Sony A6500 and a diopter to go with the Fantasea housing. Can I get a lens that will allow me to shoot video and then macro in conjunction with the diopter. Iíve only been used to compacts so am not sure about different lenses.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why do you want to upgrade? Existing camera doesn't do what you want? Existing camera giving problems. Just want to expand your horizons variety of lenses and better video? Just like new toys? Earning too much money?
    All interchangeable lens cameras have the same limitations "Wrong lens Grommet". Generally the main limitation of a compact now is wide angle underwater, it requires ultrawide lenses some of which can focus close enough to do larger macro. If you want the versatility of interchangeable lenses then you pay with "wrong lens syndrome". If it were possible to design a lens to do everything it would have been done.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Ian
    I recently went through the G16 to G9x mk II to Sony A6500 all in Fanatsea housings.
    There are some options but all have up and downsides... and from my own experiences and reading...
    The standard 16-50 mm can do both macro and wide with wet lenses however does not excel at either of them, the lens is soft and very soft in the corners, mine also occasionally worked with a +6 Inon, but wouldn't focus with two of them stacked, only tried it once or twice so could be user error.
    There is a sony 18-135mm which doesn't have a great minimum focus distance from memory, and has issues with diopters from what I heard, plus ports for it are hard to come by.
    There's also the 24-105 but again similar to the 18-135 - Seafrog may do a housing and port for both of these longer zooms.
    The issue you have here is that your are trying to replicate a compact all in one lens which various options, Canon seemed to make great compact lenses compared to the mirrorless kit lenses, but then the primes are fantasic and the choice of lens is far greater.

For Macro you have the 30, 50 and 90 mm from Sony and 60 and 100mm from Canon as options, I went with the 90mm but have yet to use it u/w, as I am still waiting for the port to arrive. This also work great for a macro movie lens I from what I can see.
    None of these will provide what you have now. I went through the same thought process as when I migrated to the a6500. However I now have to sacrifice the compact flexibility for great quality.

A couple of things (reposting as my previous post didn't go through for some reason) about going from a high end compact to a mirrorless...
    Size and weight, yes it sounds obvious but it is a large increase especially when travelling with ports. No longer can you throw it all in hand luggage.
    You need to decide what you want to shoot before you get in the water, I no longer can change lenses from wide to macro underwater. Did this originally with the 16-50 but now going marco or wide.
    Wide now really means wide, I have gone to a Tokina 10-17 on an MC-11 which is much wider than the old compacts with a uwl-9f, also seems to work fine with the Sony's great autofocus.
    The Autofocus is great, almost too great as you need to think more about composition
    Sony white balance range erm what to say.... Canon's is far, far better but RAW works fine on the Sony. Sony has a better blue than Canon I feel out of the camera.. could just be me.

I hope this helps

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi sorry I didn't respond to these posts. I don't seem to be getting email notifications. I have already gone for the A6500 and Fantasea housing but won't use it underwater for another 5 or 6 weeks. You are correct about the weight it is surprising the difference. I did look at the 90mm lens but at this stage it all got too expensive so went with the 16 to 50mm and have gone for an Inon wet lens diopter. Are you happy with your results with the a6500?

Thanks for the response

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Ian
    Just got back from a trip... a couple of issues, but the 16-50 with diopters can work, I have 2 +6 Inon's I would recommend only one of them as stacking both loses sharpness and over eggs the softness of the lens (not overly exposed on land but is underwater). Also because the lens says it can shoot down to f36, in reality nothing beyond f22 (at best) seemed worth it as the DoF as it had other detremental effects (sharpness), although without diopters shoots nice opened out a bit (not all the bay).
    I am considering either the sony 50mm macro or the canon 60mm macro (will need to remove the plate on my MC-11 for that).
    It really depends what you want to shoot, I found mixing back button focus and switching to manual focusing with focus peeking on worked best (actually this is a great feature).
    A word of warning with the 16-50 focus gear, watch it as if it or the camera isn't seated correctly especaily around the screen side of the camera then you can have zoom issues (i.e no zoom). Not sure if it was the rubber gear or the seating but I had a lot of issues early on but now realibable (could have been user error).
    Overall, even with everthing above, its a great camera (love the wide angle stuff and video...) still hate the white balance, but yes its great also a faster sync speed would be nice (1/125th with the inbuilt flash or 1/250th through the hot shoe) . The housing is very well planned out ergonomically with access to everything you need. I will be investing in a screen enlarger viewer.
    I hope this helps