Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indonesian Rupiah - buy here or wait

Off to Indonesia later in the year - I hope, having been before we took Rupiah (and some US Dollars as a reserve and thinking of doing the same again). Everybody tells me though it's worth waiting until we get there to buy the Rupiah as the exchange rate is far better than in the UK, just need to know if this is other peoples experience? Previously we bought the Rupiah on-line here and had them delivered next day.

This time we were going to look at getting either US Dollars now or Euros before the Pound gets pegged to the Rouble and then take those for exchange, curious as to what others have done.

Matt

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just take English pounds and change them when I get there. Even the airport exchange rate is better than the rate you will get buying in the UK. I often contact the resort/boat to see if they will take final payment in pounds as quite often they will look up the xe rate on the day.

If the resort charges in Euro/Dollars then I usually take enough to cover my expected extras (park fees/nitrox) and that makes paying up on departure much easier.

I have a couple of times settled up using bank transfer, quite often I have paid the cost of the holiday using bank transfer and as long as agreed up front it saves carrying loads of cash around the world.

Sharon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When you xchange in indo (even at the airport) they will shortchange you.
    Stay at the till and count the money.
    When challenged they will give you a little back.
    Count it again.
    when challenged again they will part with more.
    Repeat until satisfied
    Its ok to leave a small tip but dont get diddled.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indonesian Rupiah - buy here or wait

I find the whole money changing thing a racket. In the UK and at European airports, you usually get plus or minus 10-15% of the official exchange rate depend song which way you go, while they tell you there is no commission. Total rip off

In Singapore, Bangkok and Jakarta, it was more normal to see the exchange rate was in a narrow 2-3% band of the official rate.
    Personally, Id go and pay with a card, (less hassle), just withdraw money while there (and still be better off than buying at the airport) or take cash and just find an exchange office. Even in the airport in Jakarta and Bali you get a half decent rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dave1w; 19-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Halifax clarity credit card. I’ve used one for ages now for all my travelling

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cr...l-credit-cards