Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    PM sent
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I bought something called a Peti Pot the other day, you fill it with a salt water solution (1 teaspoon of table salt to a pint of tap water), stick it up a nostril and flush the nose and sinuses; it clears the crap out very well. When I blow my nose afterwards, which is essential to get the excess water out, it works wonders for the ears; can hear them popping away during each blow. It might be worth getting one, got mine from AmazonUK, its porcelain with a spout at one end.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks, I have been using one already.

My right ear has popped a few times today, retracts again fairly quickly though. At least I am able to move it though. The left ear has not budged and i cannot feel any indication that the ear cavity is pressurising. Possibly completely blocked tube on that side.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by James 1976 View Post
    I bought something called a Peti Pot the other day, you fill it with a salt water solution (1 teaspoon of table salt to a pint of tap water), stick it up a nostril and flush the nose and sinuses; it clears the crap out very well. When I blow my nose afterwards, which is essential to get the excess water out, it works wonders for the ears; can hear them popping away during each blow. It might be worth getting one, got mine from AmazonUK, its porcelain with a spout at one end.
    Same here, although I'm using the neilmed kits from boots recommended to me by someone on here. I just do it in the morning before I go diving.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Here is how they are looking today.

Left ear: blood has gone, and on trying to pressurise it I have the occasional crackle but have not felt the tube properly open and have not been able to feel any pressure getting into that ear.
    Right ear: I've been managing to push my right eardrum out slightly from its retracted position, but it does keep reverting back to that retracted position over time. I can feel the tube opening on this side but its unreliable, sometimes I can do it and other times not.

There is still no pain or feeling of fullness in either ear, and my hearing is normal. I would not feel like anything was wrong if I didn't know that there was via observation.

10 days till hospital appointment.

Last edited by dangerousdan; 17-09-2019 at 08:47 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Left is looking a little less retracted around the top area now. Right is pretty much unchanged, whenever I get it to pop it seems to retract again and the top section hasn't moved at all.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi all,

Found this dive medicene booklet online whilst browsing for ear issues. Its quite good and covers a wide range of dive related medical issues, well written too. Might be useful to people.

https://www.oceanscuba.co.uk/Client/...e-Medicine.pdf

Also, I found this information related to normal eustachian tube function

Assessment of eustachian tube function

William's test

1.Done in patients with intact ear drum.
    2.Measure middle ear pressure at the start of test (resting pressure), after patient swallows (with nose and mouth closed), and finally after performing valsalva.
    3.Pressure should become negative on swallowing and positive on valsalva.
    4.Normal ambient middle ear pressure is slightly negative.
    5.If middle ear pressure becomes negative on swallowing but does not become positive on valsalva or vice versa partially impaired.
    6.If middle ear pressure does not change at all on swallowing or on valsalva - grossly impaired. [4]
    http://www.indianjotol.org/article.a...3;aulast=Priya

This suggests that a negative pressure when swallowing (something I mentioned I had observed earlier in this thread) is normal, and that a slight negative pressure when the tubes are closed is also normal.

I have been reading alot about eardrum atrophy lately, which may be my issue. I found an article that suggested that years of eustachian tube underuse can cause this. As I have only recently become 'aware' of my eardrums, middle ear, equalisation processes etc (as a direct result of learning to dive) then for the 38 years prior to this Ive not been consciously aware of the need to equalise or use my eustachian tubes at all. What I don't know is whether continued 'practice', and thus exercising the tubes, will either a) allow me to dive or b) start to reverse the eardrum atrophy. These are questions I will be asking on Friday.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdan View Post
    Hi all,

Found this dive medicene booklet online whilst browsing for ear issues. Its quite good and covers a wide range of dive related medical issues, well written too. Might be useful to people.

https://www.oceanscuba.co.uk/Client/...e-Medicine.pdf

Also, I found this information related to normal eustachian tube function

http://www.indianjotol.org/article.a...3;aulast=Priya

This suggests that a negative pressure when swallowing (something I mentioned I had observed earlier in this thread) is normal, and that a slight negative pressure when the tubes are closed is also normal.

I have been reading alot about eardrum atrophy lately, which may be my issue. I found an article that suggested that years of eustachian tube underuse can cause this. As I have only recently become 'aware' of my eardrums, middle ear, equalisation processes etc (as a direct result of learning to dive) then for the 38 years prior to this Ive not been consciously aware of the need to equalise or use my eustachian tubes at all. What I don't know is whether continued 'practice', and thus exercising the tubes, will either a) allow me to dive or b) start to reverse the eardrum atrophy. These are questions I will be asking on Friday.
    My ears have certainly go easier to clear over the 3 years I've been diving.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    My ears have certainly go easier to clear over the 3 years I've been diving.
    I really hope that this is what happens. I hope tomorrow to be able to have my eustachian tubes examined to see if there is any physical reason why I might struggle to equalise. Although I have a fear they will just tell me to come back in 3 months rather than properly examining me. I hope I am doing them a dis-service but I fear not. Will update tomorrow with what they say at the hospital.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well I am disappointed and frustrated but not surprised unfortunately.

All the 'doctor' at the hospital appointment was able to do was say I hadnt got an infection. She even tried to say I had inpacted wax in the outer ear, which I know full well to be bollocks. So I then presented my own photos. I asked directly about my possible eustachian tube issues, and about my retracted ear drum. She had no answers. Apparantly this today was an 'emergency clinic' only - I had to wait 3 fucking weeks for the appointment, some fucking emergency!

Now I have to wait for a referal to an actual consultant. What a waste of time.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast