Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdan View Post

Also, ive seen some techniques which say to blow and swallow at the same time, the idea being its the swallow which pulls open the tubes. I.
    Think you're looking at the wrong websites

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ha ha! Perhaps!

Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    Just do it in a pool, without any scuba equipment, holding your breath. When you start feeling pressure on your ears blow into your nose until it goes away. You don't need to worry about looking for any specifc "popping" sensation, just that the feeling of pressure goes away.

If you can't manage that, or if it's painful, then all the nasal balloons in the world aren't going to help.
    Ok so this is what I did before, and the pressure did go away, then I got the problems afterward (i.e after the diving had finished).

If i get a squeek on trying to equalise, do I carry on or stop? I dont know if a squeek is a sign of some damage occuring?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Think you're looking at the wrong websites
    Ew.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I thought you'd successfully done it while descending in plane ? If so then you can blow hard enough ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    If you can't blow up a nasal balloon, I doubt your ability to clear a flooded mask. Have you thought about a 1ATA suit?
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had a pool practice tonight, no SCUBA gear just ducking under with a mask on.

I was able to wiggle my jaw around in conjunction with a nose pinch and pop my right ear. My left was more difficult. I think it may have equalised a bit, but not fully. That was the ear that had the blood in it last time, and the one which won't pop during weightlifting. I think this is my problem ear. There was not really any feeling of pressure on it and certainly no pain. I think I may not be able to rely on the feeling of pressure as a good indicator.

So in conjunction with having a problem ear I may not be blowing hard enough. I think I need to start up again with the nose balloon and do it regularly. It does feel like it takes too much force to blow it up, but I need those tubes to start opening up and being exercised.

Im getting in the pool with SCUBA gear again next week. This time around, I have my ear camera so I'll be able to take before and after to see whether there is any damage occuring.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    I thought you'd successfully done it while descending in plane ? If so then you can blow hard enough ?
    Its the consistency problem. On the flight out everything was fine, both sides opened up and I was happy. On the flight back one week later, neither ear would pop. They didn't pop till I was on the ground, the right went first and the left one made a squeeking noise, then became blocked up for weeks.
    Last edited by dangerousdan; 28-11-2019 at 10:26 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdan View Post
    Im getting in the pool with SCUBA gear again next week. This time around, I have my ear camera so I'll be able to take before and after to see whether there is any damage occuring.
    How? With all due respect, last time you couldn't tell the difference between wax and your ear drum. Chill out, the photos and psuedo-science aren't helping you.

You're getting too worked up about this and it's probbly exaccerbating any issues you have. The advice is still the same. Take your time, get into the pool with and without gear and see how you get on. Equalising does not require you to "pop" your ears. Doing it little and often means you won't feel anything. You only feel pressure when you've left it too late and gone too deep without equalising, at that point come up a bit and try again.

If the pool time and any instruction you can get isn't working. Seek advice from a doctor with dive experience. They'll understand the issue you're trying to overcome and will be able to tell you clearly if it's realistic.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    How? With all due respect, last time you couldn't tell the difference between wax and your ear drum. Chill out, the photos and psuedo-science aren't helping you.
    Yep I didnt know that wax could form its own thin crust over the whole eardrum and look like a second skin from the outside. So what I thought was the surface of my eardrum was actually a membrane of wax.

I think the main thing is Ill be able to see any blood, bruising or fluid bubbles, and make a note of how well I was able to equalise during the pool/dive.

Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    You're getting too worked up about this and it's probbly exaccerbating any issues you have. The advice is still the same. Take your time, get into the pool with and without gear and see how you get on. Equalising does not require you to "pop" your ears. Doing it little and often means you won't feel anything. You only feel pressure when you've left it too late and gone too deep without equalising, at that point come up a bit and try again.
    I understand this advice totally. Its exactly how I thought my open water dives went, but i then got a delayed reaction in my ears afterward. There is still no explanation for why that happened and yes, its got me on edge that it will happen again.

I tried the otovent this morning. Its definitely mental issue. As the static pressure increases i can feel this on the inside of my nose, and am then anticipating a sudden pop and dont like the feeling, so im stopping myself from pushing that extra little bit to get the balloon to start expanding.

I think when ears pop underwater, the surrounding water makes the pop feel less violent than when its done in air.

I could be so close with this balloon I just need to not be scared of the pop.
    Last edited by dangerousdan; 29-11-2019 at 10:51 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi all.

Hope all well and had a good xmas and new year.

Sorry to start this thread up again.

I got in the pool last night, first time since I did the OW course.

I felt my right ear squeak as I equalised it. I didn't feel my left do anything at all. Was down at 2m in the pool and had no pain or feeling of pressure on the ears. Just don't know if they did equalise or didn't, really. I couldn't tell.

Later on in the dive my right ear was aching a little. I have a residual earache today, nothing bad just can feel it slightly.

Don't know what to do next really. Do I risk a deeper dive and see what happens? The hospital visits have come to nothing, no follow up appointments proposed by the consultant after the initial visit.

I was also thinking about how equalisation works and I have a question.

When you valsalva, all it does is increase the pressure inside the nasal cavity and in doing so, squeezes a bit of air up the eustachian tubes and into the middle ear.

Well when we dive, we are breathing the air at ambient pressure, so the mouth and nasal cavity are at an elevated pressure anyway.

So my question is, why do we need to valsalva at all? Why doesn't it just happen automatically? There seems to be no difference between increasing the pressure in the nose by doing a valsalva, or increasing the pressure in the nose by simply breathing air at a depth?

The reason I was thinking this through is that I still can't inflate the ottovent balloon. It appears I can't overcome the mental block I have in blowing hard enough to get the balloon to inflate. However, if I descend to a depth where the pressure is equivalent to that needed to inflate the balloon, then this should be an identical effect, shouldn't it? According to an article I found, the pressure needed to inflate the balloon is about 0.1 bar. I should generate the exact same pressure by descending one metre underwater and just breathing at that depth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This months scuba mag (BSAC mag but available in all good book shops) has an article on ears. Talks about a joint venture with DDRC (Diving medical people) might help in your search for medical info / help.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819