Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Only thing I would add for when you start diving even in a pool is pop your ears before going under and immediately after cracking the surface. Also a long custom moulded mouthpiece like a Seacure might help hold the mouthpiece in place in some of your more extreme jaw manoeuvres. https://seacuremouthpiece.com/
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 25-02-2021 at 09:36 AM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    @Ihsaan, @Tim Digger

Can an eardrum that has been damaged through retraction, heal itself and stiffen if the negative pressure issue is solved? Ive been researching this alot and haven't found a definitive answer.

My valsalva inflations are still going really well, and i don't need to put much effort in at all now to get them to inflate, but Im now noticing that I can feel my eardrums feeling a bit 'flappy' sometimes. This makes sense as they have been stretched and have lost some structural integrity. I feel the need to do multiple inflations per day now to keep them inflated a little because if I don't, they feel 'loose'.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If damaged, an eardrum can heal itself and often stiffens through a scarring process.
    The flappy sensation is probably the return to normality as they should move more freely during pressure changes.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi all,

You may remember back in 2019 I bought an ear ottoscope from Amazon so I could see what my problem was for myself. Here is what my eardrums looked like back in March 2020 which was the last time I used my camera before today. I have annotated the image showing how the retracted membrane is attaching itself and stretching itself over the structures in the middle ear. It is literally like it is being shrink wrapped, which is physically what is happening due to the lower middle ear pressure from dysfunctional eustachian tubes not allowing pressure to equalise naturally.

I have been reluctant to look inside my ears again lately because I was worried what I might see. But today I plucked up the courage to look at it. I've been able to inflate my ears regularly now for nearly three months and have been doing it multiple times a day. However I still think it doesn't happen on its own - if I don't do it manually then it doesn't work. Anyway here is how they look today!

Personally I think this improvement is massive. My eardrums are not cosmetically pretty of course, because they have been damaged for years, but they appear to be broadly in the right position and not attaching themselves excessively to the malleus or stapes. On the right ear especially, the eardrum is visibly far less deep into the middle ear than it was before.

My hearing seems to have improved alot as well.

And finally here is a video file of my ears actually popping. It took a few goes to get the camera to work properly so I had already popped them a few times before this video was successfully taken, which is why they already look a bit mangled outwards and don't move a great deal - but if you look carefully you can see it happen. If I waited a few hours before inflating them, it would be more prominant.

https://youtu.be/6Ld6IpOQyeI
    Last edited by dangerousdan; 27-03-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Excellent I think hard persistent work has paid off. Even if you never dive I think this has improved matters immensely. Just be very careful when you do try to dive and remember it is usually more difficult to equalise your middle ear cavity when it is already under pressure. Equalize before and frequently. Though I would agree you have pretty scarred and fibrosed ear drums. Thanks for the pictures.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122