Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    1,352
    Likes (Given)
    301
    Likes (Received)
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Subaru Forester XC diesel

    But not if buying new as they've stopped doing diesel. The petrol one is stupid money, high tax and low MPG.

    I've got two diesel Foresters and would gladly replace them with the same, but not with petrol engines
    My mate zippy has had one of those for a couple of years and his has been a complete nightmare Friday afternoon special.
    Several autoboxes, electrical faults, etc...

    His is the boxer diesel auto.

    One of the times his had shat itself they gave him one of the 400hp petrol ones on loan*. To it's credit, it did make it back up heart attack hill at dotty alright.


    *He did insist that while they were busy fixing his piece of junk that they didn't give him, as he put it, some beige hairdressing shopping trolley. I don't think he liked the 20mpg though.

  2. #22
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    2,928
    Likes (Given)
    847
    Likes (Received)
    1144
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    My mate zippy has had one of those for a couple of years and his has been a complete nightmare Friday afternoon special.
    Several autoboxes, electrical faults, etc...

    His is the boxer diesel auto.

    One of the times his had shat itself they gave him one of the 400hp petrol ones on loan*. To it's credit, it did make it back up heart attack hill at dotty alright.


    *He did insist that while they were busy fixing his piece of junk that they didn't give him, as he put it, some beige hairdressing shopping trolley. I don't think he liked the 20mpg though.
    Nightmare indeed. At least they're rare with Subarus. My old Forester ran out of oil on one occasion and still drove ok with a dry dipstick (operator error i might add). Normally they are very fault tolerant IME.

    Re the petrol ones, I test-drove the old Forester with the WRX engine in it and it was fiesty to say the least. It cornered like a 2CV on speed: leaning fairly alarmingly but somehow hanging on as if nothing was happening. Apparently, they used to make a ProDrive version of it, that had to have a significantly different setup, as it generated so much power it could spin all 4 wheels simultaneously should you boot it carelessly with the driving aids turned off. I imagine the fuel consumption would have been dire but if you were a farmer in a real hurry to get somewhere, it might have been useful! That or for burning off gangztas at the lights - no one would expect such a lump to shift so fast.

  3. #23
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    228
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    65
    I got a VW tiguan and I'm happy with it, I was looking at the Skoda's but they were just a bit to new at the time to be able to afford.

    Its got 4X4, can tow, and i find it comfy to do long drives in. Iv got the diesel version and get good MPG.

    My only major issue is that because its one of the first Gen cars the Adblue tank is under the boot. So to fill it i have to pull the boot liner out, take half the spare wheel holder and then the caps. And due to it being lower than the floor the funnels you get with the Adblue tanks don't fit. I ended up buying a siphon for just it so i didn't spill it everywhere. This has been resolved on newer models and the Adblue filler is under the fuel cap so a lot easier to get to.

  4. #24
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Belper
    Posts
    2,603
    Likes (Given)
    1874
    Likes (Received)
    1411
    I understand what you mean James about the seats - but it takes me about 700 miles in a day to get the hump with them. I was considering getting one of those bead seat covers as they seem to be surprisingly comfortable but the reality is that I don't do 700 miles in a day trips these days since daughter #1 came back from Paris last month. I suspect that I would bitch about the seats in any car after 700 miles in one hit.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

  5. #25
    Established TDF Member jamesp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wrexham
    Posts
    4,443
    Likes (Given)
    2438
    Likes (Received)
    1576
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    I understand what you mean James about the seats - but it takes me about 700 miles in a day to get the hump with them. I was considering getting one of those bead seat covers as they seem to be surprisingly comfortable but the reality is that I don't do 700 miles in a day trips these days since daughter #1 came back from Paris last month. I suspect that I would bitch about the seats in any car after 700 miles in one hit.
    Last time I did 700 miles in a day, was on a TZR 250.

    Wrexham to Hanover is 700 miles each way, I did there and back, with a day at EMO in an S type Jag over three days a few years back. Very comfortable seats.

    Dover is 270 miles, I will only stop once, if I have to. I will not blink at driving 3~4 hours without stopping.

    The Superb I would be considering a rag down the fuel filler at three hours; the wife was at least half an hour in front of me!

  6. #26
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Belper
    Posts
    2,603
    Likes (Given)
    1874
    Likes (Received)
    1411
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Last time I did 700 miles in a day, was on a TZR 250.
    There’s your problem. Your backside hasn’t recovered from being cut so badly eve after all these years.

    The longest single day I have done was from the Dordogne to home - 760ish miles in a Chrysler Grand Voyager. Surprisingly comfortable after that distance as well.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

  7. #27
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,940
    Likes (Given)
    687
    Likes (Received)
    626
    Now on my sixth Skoda (Fabia Vrs, Octavia, 3 Yeti's and the Kodiaq as well as SWMBO's Fabia and Citigo). Given my overall mileage with the combined fleet (probably around 300K), I have had very few problems and all have been sorted pretty quickly and painlesly.

    The Kodiaq is huge inside but doesn't feel too bad on the road, takes a huge load (rear seats fold flat to give almost van like space), has plenty of power (150PS, AWD, DSG). Done a few decent trips and always felt the seats were pretty comfy.

    Next car will more than likely be the same or the Karoq - it wasn't out when we took the current one. Might have a look at the Kamiq (which will be the mini SUV)

  8. #28
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    284
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    81
    7 seat kodiaq is awesome, especially for lugging dive gear around.

    We got three divers’ worth of gear in for a trip to France and I could still see out the rear view mirror (each had a twinset, al80 stage, drysuit, week’s worth of clothes etc)

    The only rubbish thing for me is the key fob, which regularly used to trigger the remote open boot while in my pocket (you press and hold the button).

  9. #29
    Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Evesham
    Posts
    3,301
    Likes (Given)
    1055
    Likes (Received)
    1970
    Just to counter the Skoda love-in; my mum's Yeti 1.4TSI with the DSG box has not been a shining example of the brand, and neither have the dealers. It was bought from a broker and delivered on a flatbed from Norfolk. The local Skoda dealer needed an intervention from Head Office before they'd look at the warranty issues and dealt so poorly with the first one that Skoda suggested using a dealer in Leicester instead.
    The car arrived with lacquer damage, which the local dealer made worse after initially refusing to even look at the car. The DSG box has been sluggish, even when using the paddles and fuel economy (economy, ha!) is abysmal, even on a long run, which doesn't happen often as the seats are so bloody uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

  10. #30
    Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    6,785
    Likes (Given)
    4311
    Likes (Received)
    5267
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Nightmare indeed. At least they're rare with Subarus. My old Forester ran out of oil on one occasion and still drove ok with a dry dipstick (operator error i might add). Normally they are very fault tolerant IME.

    Re the petrol ones, I test-drove the old Forester with the WRX engine in it and it was fiesty to say the least. It cornered like a 2CV on speed: leaning fairly alarmingly but somehow hanging on as if nothing was happening. Apparently, they used to make a ProDrive version of it, that had to have a significantly different setup, as it generated so much power it could spin all 4 wheels simultaneously should you boot it carelessly with the driving aids turned off. I imagine the fuel consumption would have been dire but if you were a farmer in a real hurry to get somewhere, it might have been useful! That or for burning off gangztas at the lights - no one would expect such a lump to shift so fast.
    I had the Prodrive Forester, 2004. Yes it could spin all four wheels on a dry road, but that was fixed with a set of lower profile Eagle F1s. A brilliant car and didn't miss a beat until a daft bint drove into the side of it a couple of years ago.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)


 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •