Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Website Software

I am about to redo the company website and create a new one for a sideline and have pretty much a clean slate as far as how it looks. I keep stumbling on the first step though - what software to use. I use 123-reg to "store" my domains and do email forwarding - they have website builder software or they support Word Press.

What I want the company site to do is:

Landing page leading to eight sub-pages with some photos on and a few links to other sites.

The sideline website will be a little more complicated as I want it to

Host a combinations of text, photos, videos and presentations.

As an alternative I could use Wix and let them host the sites. Or I am happy to buy bespoke website building software (price within reason) as that will let me host anywhere.

I have no need to move onto e-commerce at any point due to the nature of our work.

So I am left with:

123-Reg website builder
    Word press or
    Wix
    Stand alone software

Any other suggestions, recommendation or "avoid like the plague".
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Word Press does nearly anything and just about anyone (that does W3) can use it. There is an eCommerce package that bolts onto it as well (just in case). Our contractor does Word Press at about 25/hr.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Word Press does nearly anything and just about anyone (that does W3) can use it. There is an eCommerce package that bolts onto it as well (just in case). Our contractor does Word Press at about 25/hr.
    For some reason I had in my mind that Word Press is aimed more at blog writing type websites which is part of the reason I have been holding back. After a few blog entries of "we put some components on the production line for satin black" or "we put some components on the production line for melon yellow" I thought it might be a little tedious.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    What Chrisch said.

The beauty of wordpress is that you can always find developers who can do work for you (so you're not locked in to whoever built the site for you), oh and it is super flexible and there are 'plugins' for all sorts of things.

One of the downsides is that you really ought to keep on top of keeping the core wordpress and the plugins up to date (largely for security updates), so you should probably get whoever develops it for you to do the updates too (monthly, every two months or similar).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wordpress is simple, free, very widely supported by ISPs (so you can pick up your toys and move elsewhere when the inevitably pee you off), and has loads of plugins, allowing you to expand the functionality as you need to.

If you do decide to go that way, I'd suggest setting up a dev/test site first, have a good play to decide how you want it to look, what theme to use, also what functionality you need, what plugs-ins to install. In my experience, that'll take a bit of time and effort and will probably involve a lot of adding and removing of themes and plugins, so use it as a sandpit, once you've made your choice, start from scratch elsewhere with a clean slate and replicate what you've done.

The new Wordpress engine has a new visual editor (i.e drag and drop).. .personally I'm not a fan, I don't find it very intuitive, if you get stuck, then install the classic editor plug in, see how you get on with that instead.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Re hosting videos, I'd suggest putting the videos on to Youtube, they'll make a better job of hosting and streaming than the ISP. If you set up a google account for your business, you can then keep the videos in a branded/corporate container, then link to the video/library from within your web site/wordpress.

Added bonus, make sure to add a link to your website form within the YouTube description etc, you'll then have another potential route in for clients (e.g. they find the video on YouTube then head over to your site from there), you'll also start building back links from decent sources which will push your SEO up.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalMayhem View Post
    What Chrisch said.

The beauty of wordpress is that you can always find developers who can do work for you (so you're not locked in to whoever built the site for you), oh and it is super flexible and there are 'plugins' for all sorts of things.

One of the downsides is that you really ought to keep on top of keeping the core wordpress and the plugins up to date (largely for security updates), so you should probably get whoever develops it for you to do the updates too (monthly, every two months or similar).
    That is not something that I had considered - but is emminently doable alongside other routine jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Wordpress is simple, free, very widely supported by ISPs (so you can pick up your toys and move elsewhere when the inevitably pee you off), and has loads of plugins, allowing you to expand the functionality as you need to.

If you do decide to go that way, I'd suggest setting up a dev/test site first, have a good play to decide how you want it to look, what theme to use, also what functionality you need, what plugs-ins to install. In my experience, that'll take a bit of time and effort and will probably involve a lot of adding and removing of themes and plugins, so use it as a sandpit, once you've made your choice, start from scratch elsewhere with a clean slate and replicate what you've done.

The new Wordpress engine has a new visual editor (i.e drag and drop).. .personally I'm not a fan, I don't find it very intuitive, if you get stuck, then install the classic editor plug in, see how you get on with that instead.
    One thing I like is the idea of upping sticks and flouncing off if I so wish - dream on Mal - as you say there is a certain inevitability that the host will cock up at some point. To be fair though 123-Reg and Fast Hosts have been pretty good so far but I haven't asked them to host anything as yet - they just do my email.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    That is not something that I had considered - but is emminently doable alongside other routine jobs.

One thing I like is the idea of upping sticks and flouncing off if I so wish - dream on Mal - as you say there is a certain inevitability that the host will cock up at some point. To be fair though 123-Reg and Fast Hosts have been pretty good so far but I haven't asked them to host anything as yet - they just do my email.
    123-reg have been on my "never touch again" list for over a decade, some work I had to do for a client recently confirmed that they still deserved to be there.

Fasthosts, again I've had some fairly in depth experience with them just recently, they're actually pretty good....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    123-reg have been on my "never touch again" list for over a decade, some work I had to do for a client recently confirmed that they still deserved to be there.

Fasthosts, again I've had some fairly in depth experience with them just recently, they're actually pretty good....
    Wasn`t it 123 who lost all the backups for TDF?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I rebuilt our Club website earlier this year. I bought a 'premium' theme for about 50 which saved a shedload of work in setting everything up from scratch. Our site is hosted on GoDaddy and we. have had a few problems with them as well. One of the reasons I had to rebuild our site was that the original one had become corrupted - GoDaddy support said that it had been hacked and wanted to charge us megabucks to recover it. It was looking very tired anyway so rebuilding it was a good investment. We have had a lot more traffic since I did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast