Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hayfever

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hayfever

How do people cope with hayfever when diving?I've struggled through a few years with slightly iffy ears and sinus, and I think its probably down to the fact I get hayfever....... So is there anyone else out there with hayfever who can advise?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Take one of the many tablets if you can find one that works OK. I have always found that once on the nice clean filtered gas in a tank you are OK. This year seems to be a bit worse than before but I have had the cheap own brand tablets from the CoOp and they seem to be effective. Some sorts can make you drowsy but never had that myself to be honest. Sleeping underwater is probably a bad idea

If you are doing deep stuff then just can it if you feel too bad rather than risk it.

Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've found a combination of Beconase and Ceterizine works the best for me...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I agree with above.

a Couple of things to note:
    1) Make sure the remedy is a long lasting one - preferably a 24hr. Last thing you want is the symptoms returning while underwater.
    2) Make sure you have used the proposed remedy on the surface without any side effects (such as the drowsiness that Chrisch mentions) before getting into the water. Alongside that I would say that if you are doing extended duration dives, I would work up to them by doing progressively longer dives with the medication so that you do not suddenly find that there is an issue in the middle of a long planned dive with a long deco obligation. While you may have no adverse symptoms on the surface, that is no guarantee underwater where pressure can do funny things.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Rinse you sinus with this :-

https://www.boots.com/neilmed-sinus-rinse-kit-10077009

Not cheap but a 60 box will last you the season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9mvVe7Mk4
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wicked, thanks for advice. Ill try some of those suggestions out (not that I seem to be getting many chances to get in the water at the moment).

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    Rinse you sinus with this :-

https://www.boots.com/neilmed-sinus-rinse-kit-10077009

Not cheap but a 60 box will last you the season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9mvVe7Mk4
    Or make your own sinus rinse;

https://www.bsaci.org/_literature_13...t_Edition_2014

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I go diving to avoid the pollon!!! Cant quite understand how someone can be symptomatic underwater, aside from when jumping in?

Purge mask with back gas immediately, breathe from reg and a couple of minutes will see you clear before you submerge.

Not sure about the diving you do but the usual warmings about medicine, especially sinus stuff when diving and planning deco / NDL appropriately should apply.

Read the article Jon posted from John Chatterton re factors which can give you an 'unexplained' hit.

Outside of diving i started using symptom specific stuff 5 years ago, one for eyes, one for nose and mouth and then a general pill to top it off. Your bathroom cabinet (or car in my case) looks like Boots but you dont suffer.

Last couple of years havent been so bad for me so im clearly backwards from forum opinion!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by M-J-J View Post
    I go diving to avoid the pollon!!! Cant quite understand how someone can be symptomatic underwater, aside from when jumping in?Purge mask with back gas immediately, breathe from reg and a couple of minutes will see you clear before you submerge. Not sure about the diving you do but the usual warmings about medicine, especially sinus stuff when diving and planning deco / NDL appropriately should apply.Read the article Jon posted from John Chatterton re factors which can give you an 'unexplained' hit. Outside of diving i started using symptom specific stuff 5 years ago, one for eyes, one for nose and mouth and then a general pill to top it off. Your bathroom cabinet (or car in my case) looks like Boots but you dont suffer.Last couple of years havent been so bad for me so im clearly backwards from forum opinion!
    Its not about the symptoms underwater, its about the build up of gunk in the sinus, when then causes pressure issues.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    Its not about the symptoms underwater, its about the build up of gunk in the sinus, when then causes pressure issues.
    It is a bad year for hayfever it seems. The thing I've had recommended for me was to go onto beconase (generic version of it anyway) and stay on it, in addition to the loratadine that I usually use. That seems to be keeping the sinus gunk at bay, but only just. Occasional sudafeds when not diving to try to encourage drainage is supposed to help but I haven't noticed a great difference myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast