Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks all - we sat and went through all your comments and did plenty of Googling yesterday, and today our new Olympus TG 5 arrived can't wait to get it wet Just trying to work out best settings as day 1 of our holiday is a snorkel with whales/dolphins boat excursion and I don't want to waste time faffing with settings

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I tend to ignore the underwater modes (they all depend too much on being at the right depth. I most often have it in aperture mode, take a test shot to see how it's exposing, press the up button on the 4 way nav dial which makes the L&R and UP & Down buttons control the exposure, then choose left or right to adjust the exposure up or down. I use the up and down buttons to set the aperture and so determine both depth of field and shutter speed. Good luck If that is all double dutch then use the underwater modes and choose which mode you want depending on what you are photographing but I'd expect you to mostly want the mode with the pic of barracuda on it
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It would be great if you could put some photoshere after the trip. Especially if you don't think they are good enough! They should never be good enough for you. Or you will not get better.
    I expect you will be asking about editing programs soon.
    Good luck it plays a big part in underwater photography
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if that pic is visible, but this is one of my favourite pics - taken on a Panasonic Lumix TZ30 - if I can work out settings, I have everything crossed for a similar performance this trip - but I shall update you all accordingly in September Completely agree about always striving for better pics - I LOVE constructive critism/recommendations of settings to try etc. This new camera seems to have the capacity to program in a few settings, so I can plumb them in before my trip and try out without much faff. As much as I love that our day one is a huge snorkelling adventure with whales/dolphins, it would have been nice to have a bit of time to snorkel practise beforehand - oops!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you - my plan is to ignore u/w modes thank you for the tips - I shall take a photo of your post with my phone so I can refresh my brain (without expensive internet) when I'm abroad

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by laura0207 View Post

I don't know if that pic is visible, but this is one of my favourite pics - taken on a Panasonic Lumix TZ30 - if I can work out settings, I have everything crossed for a similar performance this trip - but I shall update you all accordingly in September Completely agree about always striving for better pics - I LOVE constructive critism/recommendations of settings to try etc. This new camera seems to have the capacity to program in a few settings, so I can plumb them in before my trip and try out without much faff. As much as I love that our day one is a huge snorkelling adventure with whales/dolphins, it would have been nice to have a bit of time to snorkel practise beforehand - oops!
    I don't know where the link went.... so here it is again! https://www.flickr.com/photos/932764...7693899138854/ I've set this image to public so should be visible

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laura0207 View Post
    As much as I love that our day one is a huge snorkelling adventure with whales/dolphins, it would have been nice to have a bit of time to snorkel practise beforehand - oops!
    It's a tube that goes from your mouth to the surface - how hard can it be?!! Keep the open end clear of the water when breathing! Joking aside, there's a few pool sessions available between now and then!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    we've been talking about scheduling in a pool sesh - Dave has bought an essential (?!) new dive comp, we have the camera to try out and Dave is popping into the shop for a dive comp and wetsuit repair on Saturday so we could do with testing those too!

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's amazing how many toys are essential
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete bullen View Post
    it's amazing how all the toys are expensive
    ftfy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast