Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    It is quite frightening how often divers using video get so engrossed in what they are capturing and forget all about monitoring depth. We had one on our Red Sea trip who was so desperate to get footage of a hammerhead that he ended up down at 45M - an AOW who had not done the deep specialty. It was 20M deeper than he had ever been before.
    Indeed! I am convinced that one of the divers on my last trip saw ALL of every dive solely through his view finder. Did not look left or right and got called out for it several times by the guides, and still did not change his behaviours.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by wibble32 View Post
    Indeed! I am convinced that one of the divers on my last trip saw ALL of every dive solely through his view finder. Did not look left or right and got called out for it several times by the guides, and still did not change his behaviours.
    It is frighteningly easy to become fixated on the viewfinder, stills or movie, to the exclusion of all else. Indeed to get good at either you have to do this, the trick is to learn to count time in your head, just like air consumption. And check frequently. I wear an air integrated computer on my inside right wrist so it is always at a glance checkable, others mount them on the camera rig. You have to make it easy for yourself. Black masks are good as they emphasize the restricted field of vision you have, encouraging a look around. I have never done a PADI Photographer course does it emphasize these points? It should.
    That said a dive guide should be saying to this guy you need a qualified buddy and pay for it, and not be expecting him to learn this correct behaviour without sensible help.
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 24-07-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    It is quite frightening how often divers using video get so engrossed in what they are capturing and forget all about monitoring depth. We had one on our Red Sea trip who was so desperate to get footage of a hammerhead that he ended up down at 45M - an AOW who had not done the deep specialty. It was 20M deeper than he had ever been before.
    ChristianG from the old place that cannot be named had a saying about that; something on the lines of there being no point in getting that killer shot if it kills you.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    ChristianG from the old place that cannot be named had a saying about that; something on the lines of there being no point in getting that killer shot if it kills you.
    Absolutely! I've banned a couple of new divers from taking in a video on their first sea dive on trips that I have been dive managing. They weren't happy at first but realised afterwards why I had done it when they found out how different being in the sea was as opposed to the benign conditions of an inland lake.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Absolutely! I've banned a couple of new divers from taking in a video on their first sea dive on trips that I have been dive managing. They weren't happy at first but realised afterwards why I had done it when they found out how different being in the sea was as opposed to the benign conditions of an inland lake.
    On a more practical note, it makes far more sense to do the dive without a camera first to get a good understanding of the layout etc, when you head back in with the camera, you will have a plan and sequence in mind, and so be able to shoot more efficiently for the end edit.... Assuming of course, that you'd like to end up with something watchable, as opposed to 45 minutes of sea sick inducing wobbly cam A La Blair Witch Project.
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 29-07-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12