Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boa Vista, Cape Verde June 2019

A while back I had asked if anyone had been to Cape Verde and what they thought. I finally got round to going this year! I chose Boa Vista over Sal as it is less developed and I fancied uncrowded dive sites and just somewhere a bit different. The beaches on Boa Vista are stunning and that sealed it. This was more of a relaxing holiday break with diving rather than expecting the best diving ever sort of holiday. a rundown of logistics and dives below.

Getting there and accommodation
    When I was booking there was only one dive operation on the island - ScubaCaribe: https://www.scubacaribe.com/diving/cape-verde/

The dive centre is next door to a massive all inclusive hotel, the Riu Karamboa. Not my usual sort of place but I got a pretty good deal and it saved the hassle of getting taxis to and from the dive centre every day: https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/a...-karamboa.html. I booked the flight and hotel through TUI as a package deal. The hotel was what you would expect from a giant all inc hotel with huge buffets, pool bar, themed restaurants etc. but what really sealed it for me was the location on a very beautiful beach. Pics below are my room balcony view and a pic from my sun lounger. Also this hotel is only a 5 min transfer from the airport (you don't really hear the planes from the hotel though).

Diving

There is no chamber on the island and you are at the mercy of the air consumption of inexperienced / holiday divers as they do not have 15L tanks. For both of these reasons dives are kept conservative and quite short (about 30-50 mins). Water temp was 21-22 degrees on my dives and depths ranged from about 11-26m. Pretty typical of Atlantic diving, there are rocky reefs and some nice anemones and the odd bit of coral. Vis was quite stirred up but about 8-15m mostly and loads of life including a nurse shark, sand tiger shark, big turtle, loads of morays, nudibranchs, huge lobsters, forkbeards, parrot fish, scorpion fish, file fish, porcupine fish, rays etc. The dive centre was well run and we were only ever 2-4 people with the guide who was excellent at pointing out marine life to us. The crew carry all the kit to the boat and help you on and off with it and are all very friendly and helpful. The boats are hard boats, a larger covered one and a smaller open one, both had ladders. The centre has big rinse tanks and plenty of space to hang and dry kit as well as lockers for valuables. I really enjoyed my dives and was back at my hotel room by about 1/ 1:30 each day ready for lunch and an afternoon relaxing on the beach! They offer two tank dives in the morning and also go out in the afternoon, but the afternoon dives tended to be more DSDs and scuba reviews. I did 10 dives in total - 2 each morning for 5 days.

Other activities

The island is pretty barren so it is all about the beaches. You can go kite surfing, quad biking, go on beach tours, visit the 'capital' Sal Rei which has some nice local restaurants and bars and generally chill out. The locals are very friendly and such lovely people.

Would I recommend this as a relaxing break somewhere a bit different with some nice dives thrown in? Absolutely! Is it the best diving you'll ever do? Unlikely but still plenty to see and nice dives to be had. I am still missing those beautiful unspoilt beaches, best to get there before the island gets too developed!

As always, any questions, ask away!
    Last edited by smileydiver; 29-06-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Really like your picture of the spotted moray

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Really like your picture of the spotted moray
    Thanks, they are feisty little b*ggers, and pop out of holes everywhere
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the report Smiley. I'd heard that there were strong currents around Cape Verde...?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Thanks for the report Smiley. I'd heard that there were strong currents around Cape Verde...?
    There can be, I only had stronger current on one dive and to be honest only felt it on the shot line descending and ascending. I think maybe they took us to fairly sheltered spots.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Some info on dive sites here: http://divescover.com/dive-sites/cap...lands/boavista
    And here: https://divebooker.com/divesites-boa...902?dest=&tag=

I dived: Bodega de Juan, Marine club (North and South), North Rocks, Taliarte Wreck, Shark Bow, Atlantida, Anchora, Shark Point.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I rather like that nudibranch. Are those the gills out of focus behind rhinophores look quite spectacular do you know what it is?
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    I rather like that nudibranch. Are those the gills out of focus behind rhinophores look quite spectacular do you know what it is?
    Thanks, I took loads of pics of them as they were all over the place, just quite liked that unintentional arty one ha ha. Here are some more pics. I would hazard a guess at some kind of Hypselodoris Picta? Some more pics below:

Also lots of these little ones around (the one in the second pic was about 1.5cm long!:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    Thanks, I took loads of pics of them as they were all over the place, just quite liked that unintentional arty one ha ha. Here are some more pics. I would hazard a guess at some kind of Hypselodoris Picta?
    https://howlingpixel.com/i-en/Felimare_picta
    This might be of interest . It seems the taxonomists the bean counters of nature are at it at present. I'd never heards of Felimare.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd never heards of Felimare
    If you think that's bad, don't look at what they've done to half of the UK ones recently.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life