Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Salem express

  1. #1
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    145
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    34

    Salem express

    For those that have dived this ship, there are plenty of pictures but this is the only video I know showing the ship before it's sinking.

    https://youtu.be/G7WC9gC6Ro0

  2. #2
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    685
    Likes (Given)
    610
    Likes (Received)
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsaan View Post
    For those that have dived this ship, there are plenty of pictures but this is the only video I know showing the ship before it's sinking.

    https://youtu.be/G7WC9gC6Ro0
    Hi ihsaan yes i have dived that but on an RB, i would say that diver is a tad foolhardy (nob head)going in there with a single looks like a 12 ltr

    alby

  3. #3
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    145
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    34
    Alby, are you watching the same video? The one I'm showing is 25 seconds long and shows no diving.

  4. #4
    Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Deepest Sussex
    Posts
    1,272
    Likes (Given)
    856
    Likes (Received)
    711
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have dived this wreck but have very very mixed feelings about it due to the fact that the sinking is fairly recent with great loss of life. Liveaboard crews used to not like it due being in living memory and the fact that many who perished were returning from Hadj to Mecca.

    Dived it once again since and have no wish to dive it again. I have never penetrated the inside of the wreck apart from the Bridge and companionways.


  5. #5
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    685
    Likes (Given)
    610
    Likes (Received)
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsaan View Post
    Alby, are you watching the same video? The one I'm showing is 25 seconds long and shows no diving.
    hi ihsaan, not sure what happened there but i got a vid of divers going thru the wreck.

    alby

  6. #6
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    218
    Likes (Given)
    98
    Likes (Received)
    117
    Dived it from a liveaboard 7 years ago - tied onto a mooring right on the wreck, very early in the morning. There were some very cute baby pipefish around a propellor, and I watched a damselfish protecting its eggs from a flatworm, but this was the most striking sight. If you leave your unit on the wreck it can't be a good day...
    Last edited by OrangeHead; 02-07-2019 at 08:10 AM.

  7. #7
    Sorry for being a dick jb2cool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bracknell, Berkshire
    Posts
    1,397
    Likes (Given)
    83
    Likes (Received)
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Alby R View Post
    hi ihsaan, not sure what happened there but i got a vid of divers going thru the wreck.

    alby
    Ihsaan posted this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7WC...ature=youtu.be, i suspect you watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=sr4SBjhU_sU) posted by Eddie

  8. #8
    TDF Member JasminNeedsGills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    47
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHead View Post
    Dived it from a liveaboard 7 years ago - tied onto a mooring right on the wreck, very early in the morning. There were some very cute baby pipefish around a propellor, and I watched a damselfish protecting its eggs from a flatworm, but this was the most striking sight. If you leave your unit on the wreck it can't be a good day...
    I saw the video of the dive, and thought that wreck is creepy and disturbing.... then I saw this. Yep. Never want to put a fin near that ship.

  9. #9
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,881
    Likes (Given)
    653
    Likes (Received)
    603
    I have to say that that is a wreck that I would not have a problem in leaving well alone.

  10. #10
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Dived the Salem Express in 2001. Remember being briefed against penetration, and some areas being closed off. Either because I was young, or stupid.. or both.. I helped myself in. Can still remember luggage and personal items along corridors.. it was sad and left a bad taste for the rest of the day.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •