X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sim667
    Established TDF Member
    • Jan 2016

Costa Brava - Rosas area?

I'm off out there with some friends on a weeks holiday in August, and wouldn't mind getting a day of diving in. Despite knowing the area really well (its my second home, I've been going out there for nearly 32 years as my grandparents lived out there half the year when I was a kid, and now my folks do the same), I've only taken up diving in the last few years, never paid any attention to dive sites or operators out there.So has anyone got any recommendations? I'll need to hire the kit there as there's no point in lugging stuff out for a day (I'll take my computer), and I'm the only diver in my group so I'll have to hope the operator can buddy me up with someone.I've noticed a place called Fleet diving who seem to cater to BSAC Divers, but they seem to offer week packages, and a place called Roses Sub which seems to have good reviews. I know theres a place in Santa Margarita too, but can't remember the name and I can't find it online (I think they tend to get a lot of repeat German business). Any recommendation for sites to try and dive? I'm not looking for anything super deep, I just want to see whats there as I'm intrigued to see what I've been missing for the last god knows how many years.
    Simscubadives on youtube
    My general photography on youtube
  • Tim Digger
    Prior Member
    • Feb 2013

You are not far from the Ilas Mendes. Where my daughters learnt to dive and I learnt to find my way around underwater. It would be worth a trip but booking at that time of year would be essential as it is permit only in marine reserve. In Estartit I only dived with Peter Lane of Calypso diving. He may still be skippering his boat or may have retired. Seems like he is still going, http://www.calypsodivingestartit.com/ They are a reliable multilingual, multi national outfit. Like I say booking with someone to get to the Ilas would be essential in August.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Comment

• shapeshifter
      Established TDF Member
      • Jan 2013

Thw diving in that area is magnificent warm clear water with lots of life. Out of Rosas I can recommend CIR:

Centre Immersió Roses, Centro Inmersión Roses, CIR, CIR Roses, Busseig, buceo, scuba dive, tauchen, plongée, Roses, Rosas, Costa Brava, Catalunya, Cataluña, Catalonia, Spain, Espanya, España, Spanien, Espagne, El Bisbe, Norfeu, Cap Falcó,

Although to be honest you're going to be doing pretty much the same dives irrespective of your certifications. They'll give you a guide if you want one; leave you to do your own thing (typically to a limit of 40m) if you don't.

Originally posted by sim667
      I'm off out there with some friends on a weeks holiday in August, and wouldn't mind getting a day of diving in. Despite knowing the area really well (its my second home, I've been going out there for nearly 32 years as my grandparents lived out there half the year when I was a kid, and now my folks do the same), I've only taken up diving in the last few years, never paid any attention to dive sites or operators out there.So has anyone got any recommendations? I'll need to hire the kit there as there's no point in lugging stuff out for a day (I'll take my computer), and I'm the only diver in my group so I'll have to hope the operator can buddy me up with someone.I've noticed a place called Fleet diving who seem to cater to BSAC Divers, but they seem to offer week packages, and a place called Roses Sub which seems to have good reviews. I know theres a place in Santa Margarita too, but can't remember the name and I can't find it online (I think they tend to get a lot of repeat German business). Any recommendation for sites to try and dive? I'm not looking for anything super deep, I just want to see whats there as I'm intrigued to see what I've been missing for the last god knows how many years.
      Last edited by shapeshifter; 27-06-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Edward3c
        Established TDF Member
        • Feb 2013

There’s an article in this month’s SCUBA about diving around L'Estartit.

Comment

• iamyourgasman
          rEvo-lution
          • Dec 2012

If you fancy doing your own stuff, get in touch with Ian at www.fleetdive.com We have been going back to him with the family and friends. The diving around Roses is OK, there are a couple of nice wrecks in the recreational range and also nice walls and caverns. The boat traffic can be insane so be careful close to the surface!

Comment

• sim667
            Established TDF Member
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by iamyourgasman
            If you fancy doing your own stuff, get in touch with Ian at www.fleetdive.com We have been going back to him with the family and friends. The diving around Roses is OK, there are a couple of nice wrecks in the recreational range and also nice walls and caverns. The boat traffic can be insane so be careful close to the surface!
            Thanks, I've been in touch with someone from fleet diving and although they can't take me out as part of their outfit, apparently one of them might be interested in buddying me, so I'm waiting to hear back.
            Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• sim667
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Edward3c
              There’s an article in this month’s SCUBA about diving around L'Estartit.
              Great, I'll have a look, thanks.
              Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• sim667
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by shapeshifter
                Thw diving in that area is magnificent warm clear water with lots of life. Out of Rosas I can recommend CIR:

Centre Immersió Roses, Centro Inmersión Roses, CIR, CIR Roses, Busseig, buceo, scuba dive, tauchen, plongée, Roses, Rosas, Costa Brava, Catalunya, Cataluña, Catalonia, Spain, Espanya, España, Spanien, Espagne, El Bisbe, Norfeu, Cap Falcó,

Although to be honest you're going to be doing pretty much the same dives irrespective of your certifications. They'll give you a guide if you want one; leave you to do your own thing (typically to a limit of 40m) if you don't.
                Ah yes, I've seen that yellow boat around for yonks, I couldn't remember the name of that one, I'll drop them an email, thanks!
                Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• sim667
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Tim Digger
                  You are not far from the Ilas Mendes. Where my daughters learnt to dive and I learnt to find my way around underwater. It would be worth a trip but booking at that time of year would be essential as it is permit only in marine reserve. In Estartit I only dived with Peter Lane of Calypso diving. He may still be skippering his boat or may have retired. Seems like he is still going, http://www.calypsodivingestartit.com/ They are a reliable multilingual, multi national outfit. Like I say booking with someone to get to the Ilas would be essential in August.
                  Thank you. I'll have a look at them also.

I kinda want to check out the diving there as it might be good to run a club trip there too so will bear in mind your comments about Llas
                  Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• sim667
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jan 2016

Does anyone know about this medical form required in Spain? An E form or something?
                    Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• shapeshifter
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

I'm pretty sure I've never been asked for a medical form in Spain, and if I was I certainly just showed them the one I got from my doctor.

You will almost certainly be asked to produce proof of diving insurance though. Dive centres can usually sell you insurance on a per day, week or month basis.

Does anyone know about this medical form required in Spain? An E form or something?

Comment

• MinimalMayhem
                        TDF Member
                        • Aug 2015

We had to show dive medicals. I had one from the UK where a doctor has confirmed I am fit to dive. The wife and kids had to go to the local doctor in l’estartit and have a check done (it was five or ten minutes each person, can’t remember the cost).

I don’t know for sure but I think you could get away with a self cert form - I think I’ve heard that there’s a bsac one but I may be making that up.

Comment

• Tim Digger
                          Prior Member
                          • Feb 2013

It is a legal requirement in Spain for dive outfits to check you have a up to date dive medical. Many locally (Spanish owned) run outfits ignore this, but mostly they were at school or in the bar with the local police who never check. Outfits run by ex pats from whatever country do not have this advantage so tend to play by the rules. Most will have an arrangement with a local doc who will certify at a reasonable cost but there is no agreed fee, market rates.
                          Tim Digger

Comment

• sim667
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2016

Ooof..... I'll never get to see my GP before I go, its like a 12 week waiting list.
                            Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• Tim Digger
                              Prior Member
                              • Feb 2013

Ooof..... I'll never get to see my GP before I go, its like a 12 week waiting list.
                              Ask whoever you dive with say you will need one if they want it. They can often arrange a doc to call and do several first thing in morning before going out.
                              Tim Digger

Comment

Working...