Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Any SSI alumni here?

Hi all,

my 11yo nephew is getting keen on blowing bubbles, after snorkelling for a bit, and being shown some rudimentary ropes. A local (to him) outfit is an SSI school, but - I've no idea about how their certs, if it goes that far, might be recognised (e.g. on holiday) for the future.

I'm confident the training is up to scratch. What about the recognition?

Cheers
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No problem with recognition, I don't know about UK but around Europe and much f the world PADI are losing dive centres to SSI and instructors are crossing over all over the place. SSI is gaining ground rapidly and their certs are accepted everywhere as far as I'm aware.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Hi all,

my 11yo nephew is getting keen on blowing bubbles, after snorkelling for a bit, and being shown some rudimentary ropes. A local (to him) outfit is an SSI school, but - I've no idea about how their certs, if it goes that far, might be recognised (e.g. on holiday) for the future.

I'm confident the training is up to scratch. What about the recognition?
    I've been teaching SSI for quite some years now and have never heard of anyone having problems on holiday or elsewhere, especially as the digital cert cards (which are the default option IIRC) allow people to look up the certification & course details online and show the ISO equivalence etc.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bullen View Post
    No problem with recognition, I don't know about UK but around Europe and much f the world PADI are losing dive centres to SSI and instructors are crossing over all over the place. SSI is gaining ground rapidly and their certs are accepted everywhere as far as I'm aware.
    Yes. The shop I recertified in (after 30 years of no diving) and going all the way through Master diver was PADI. Two of the instructors, a husband and wife team, had a falling out with the owner and Course Director and left the shop. They enticed some students of the shop to come with them which created more hard feelings. With PADI it's possible to be an independent (from the shop) instructor. You contract your services as an instructor to the shop so there is no loyalty. My PADI shop soon switched to an SSI shop which requires their instructors to be employed with the shop (SSI). From an owners/directors POV this was a great move because it keeps the instructors loyal to the shop. As far as recognition, in the US SSI is recognized all over.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Slight Hijack. are BSAC recorgnised in USA / Canada, always wanted to the some dives in the Great Lakes and I do have a Padi AOW but my Sports diver and Nitrox qual's are BSAC.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubaguy View Post
    Slight Hijack. are BSAC recorgnised in USA / Canada, always wanted to the some dives in the Great Lakes and I do have a Padi AOW but my Sports diver and Nitrox qual's are BSAC.
    Yes, BSAC qualifications are recognised all over the world. Members from my branch have dived all ove rthe world and never had any questions about BSAC being acceptable.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The only place I got queried was an inland puddle with an new Ocean diver buddy and me as sports diver they were being difficult until I signed in as Padi AOW suddenly all fine

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubaguy View Post
    The only place I got queried was an inland puddle with an new Ocean diver buddy and me as sports diver they were being difficult until I signed in as Padi AOW suddenly all fine
    That sounds a bit officious - I think the BSAC guidance says "OD may dive with an SD when a Dive Manager is present", which makes more sense if jumping into the sea, but less sense in a puddle.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.