Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi from an old timer

I started diving in 1975 at Bradford Uni. I worked up the ranks to BSAC Advanced Instructor and had over 1000 dives all over the world before packing it in about 15 years ago.
    I've just joined here to see what's happening in the diving world these days.

Cheers
    Chris

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Welcome.

Not a lot has changed*. people still complain about clubs and agencies & weather. Kit fashions come and go and end up where they started.

*Torches are brighter and batteries last longer

Cheers

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Welcome on board. A few more old-timers on here who have been diving even longer.

More discussions about technical diving these days but not much else has changed. There seems to be fewer divers around and dive shops and clubs have closed. Our Club came close to the brink but is on it's way up now. We've just got a bunch of knackered instructors!

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yup! Keep an interest, enjoy and get involved as much or as little as you wish.

My current projects besides still diving are:

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...e=%2Fmy_videos

and

https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...cussion-Thread

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    More discussions about technical diving these days but not much else has changed.
    Yes, re-breathers and mixed gas diving were not around in the amateur sphere back in the day.

I guess dive computers have made huge progress too? Cheaper and better no doubt.

I discovered my old "EDGE" in the cupboard last week. I paid 450 for it in 1986! This vintage model was the first decompression computer that did not use lookup tables but calculated any stops from your actual dive profile. It weighed a ton but allowed you to take off some lead off your belt.

Is there any value in this device these days? Might a collector be interested from a historic perspective? If so I may give it a whirl on e.bay. If not, I'll put it back in the cupboard for another 33 years!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I remember the Edge. One of the guys in our club had one. As you say, a good lead alternative I had one of the first Aladdin Pro's back in 1987. Cost me 285. I've still got it plus a newer version which I still use as a backup and for monitoring stops because it has a nice clear display. The display on too many modern computers is far too complicated for my aged eyes!