Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buoyancy aid for boat handling - advice please

As the title suggests I am after a buoyancy aid I can wear when boat handling.

Any brands to avoid? Where should I buy etc

Don't need super fancy just a good comfortable fit (I am 5'11'' slim build) that won't auto inflate due to normal spray and allows me to move freely on the RHIB.

Cheers
    Mikael
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Platinum member... I wish
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If it's inflating then it's normally a lifejacket rather than buoyancy aid. You can get solid buoyancy aids and lifejackets though.

Buy one with a manual inflation system if you are expecting to get wet. Disadvantage being it won't auto-inflate if you are unconscious and fall in.

Normally powered by a 60g CO2 capsule. They vary from the lighter ones 150Nish with single chamber, to the offshore 275N ones with twin cylinders for redundancy.

If need the paperwork trail buy a new one from any retailer. If not, then eBay works. Can always buy a spare cartridge, deploy it sometime when out on boat to test it works and then repack and swap cartridge.

I'd suggest in a rib you don't want anything too bulky and if not doing anything in large sea states smaller one would do. Would get in way less also. You can pick up a new one in Decathalon for about £50.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It might be a bit too bulky for you but these floatation jackets are the biz. Very hard wearing and waterproof (use them on the croft when it's peeing down), has a good hood and pockets. Need to remember to tie the waist strap nice and tight if relying on the jacket for buoyancy.
    https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...C2/m-4917.aspx

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A normal automatic life jacket won't inflate with spray. I have had plenty of drenchings without it firing.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’ve had a Baltic jacket for about 20 years. It’s tested every few years and it’s still going - although it is now showing its age.

I’ve just bought a new spin lock deck vest and it’s a revelation, so much more comfortable and a much more secure feel.

If I was looking for something to wear for a few hours at a time, I would buy another Baltic, but for all day use the spin lock wins every time. My spin lock was through the RYA - well worth investigating as it was a major discount.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Auto inflate lifejackets generally need an immersion to go off - they work on pressure IFAIK. They are designed for us in full spray or driving rain on a boat. By far the best choice of protection when boat handling.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Auto inflate lifejackets generally need an immersion to go off - they work on pressure IFAIK. They are designed for us in full spray or driving rain on a boat. By far the best choice of protection when boat handling.
    Some auto inflate systems have pills/barriers that dissolve on water. This Web site gives a little more info

http://www.sailingproshop.com/lifejacket.aspx

I've only ever used that dissolving pill variety, never had an issue although it was always a worry.

Edit : reading further, seems like the HAMMAR system would be a good choice if you want auto inflate that won't activate if you get a drenching.

https://crewsaver.com/uk/lifejackets...ked-questions/
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 23-06-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Auto inflate jackets have a little salt canister. When wet enough, the salt desolves allowing the mechanism to arm.

If you have an auto inflate jacket and decide you would prefer a manual one, simply unscrew the salt canister.

Really surprised you could be in a club so long and not have a life jacket though. Do you not wear one every time you are on a RIB?
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Edit : reading further, seems like the HAMMAR system would be a good choice if you want auto inflate that won't activate if you get a drenching.
    That's the one I have and have had for 15 years or so without any issues. The CO2 needs replacement every so often but I haven't got round to it yet...

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Auto inflate jackets have a little salt canister. When wet enough, the salt desolves allowing the mechanism to arm.

If you have an auto inflate jacket and decide you would prefer a manual one, simply unscrew the salt canister.

Really surprised you could be in a club so long and not have a life jacket though. Do you not wear one every time you are on a RIB?
    We just zip up our drysuit before leaving the harbour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast