Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ethernet Hub problem.

I have an old NETGEAR 16 Port Fast Ethernet Hub and, since lunch time today, I've been having network problems. All PCs connect direct to the internet via the hub.

The power LED on the front of the hub is flashing on and off. I've put a multimeter on the hub's power transformer and it seems to be putting out the correct amount of juice.

I've had a look inside the hub and I can not see any obvious burnt-out connections or components.

Does anybody know if the flashing green power light means the unit is knackered or it just an indication that it is not connected?

I have been able to access the internet again by plugging my PC ethernet cable direct into the back of the router i/o the hub.

Does it mean my hub is toast? I can't see that there is anything to really go wrong?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If it is actually a hub (and not a switch) you've definitley had your monies worth out of it, it'll be screeming to go back to the 90's!

Switches are cheap as chips now (especially if you still only need 100mbps) so get your hand in your pocket, it sounds dead to me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by topper133 View Post
    If it is actually a hub (and not a switch) you've definitley had your monies worth out of it, it'll be screeming to go back to the 90's!

Switches are cheap as chips now (especially if you still only need 100mbps) so get your hand in your pocket, it sounds dead to me.
    Ignore / double post.
    Last edited by Finless; 19-06-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure about the diff between switch and hub. I've always known it as 'the hub' and it says FAST ETHERNET HUB on the lid.

But I like it and what can go wrong and I want to fix things not just replace them.

Last edited by Finless; 19-06-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hub is a shared medium and traffic can conflict with each other, a switch allows ports to talk to each other with conflicting, nobody really sells or uses hubs anymore.

Sorry I have no idea what could have gone bang, try another power adapter?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Does it have a part number?

Just for the record I wholeheartedly agree with topper... if it's a hub bin it and get a new switch, you could upgrade to Gigabit.

If it's a switch they do very occasionally go pop and are almost never worth repairing... How many of the 16 ports are you using? Could you downgrade to a 4 or 8 port?

It has been a bit lighteningey today... coincidence?

Edit: I did a 30 second Google... Looks like it's supposed to be solid, and blinking indicates a power supply issue:
    https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unm...s/td-p/1202084
    Last edited by ManualOverride; 19-06-2019 at 07:15 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Coincidentally my colleague was clearing out his desk today, found one of these in the bottom drawer, and this very point came up:
    Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    It says FAST ETHERNET HUB on the lid
    but as its ports run at either 10Mbps OR 100Mbps then it's actually a switch anyway. The later versions described as 'unmanaged switch' are basically the same AFAICT.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHead View Post
    but as its ports run at either 10Mbps OR 100Mbps then it's actually a switch anyway. The later versions described as 'unmanaged switch' are basically the same AFAICT.
    Eh?

A hub has a single bus that all ports are connected to continuously. If a device is connected to port 1 and wants to talk to a device on port 2, the data traffic will also pass through ports 3 to 16 (on a16 port hub)

A switch is more specific, more intelligent. Traffic is directed from the sending port to the receiving port, it won't travel to other ports uneccesarily.

So switches are basically more efficient, less prone to congestion.

(in techy terms, hubs work on layer 1, physical layer of the OSI 7 layer model, switches work on layer 2, data link layer)
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 19-06-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have seen problems with power supplies where they put out the correct voltage but cannot supply enough current to properly power up the device. This may be your problem.
    I do agree with other forum members that it is probably time to put in a switch, if you have a server or a P.C. acting as a server it will pay dividends in LAN performance, as a switch support full duplex communications. It will also probably improve internet performance for the same reason, but this will depend on your router and the internet connection type

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    Does it have a part number?

Just for the record I wholeheartedly agree with topper... if it's a hub bin it and get a new switch, you could upgrade to Gigabit.

If it's a switch they do very occasionally go pop and are almost never worth repairing... How many of the 16 ports are you using? Could you downgrade to a 4 or 8 port?

It has been a bit lighteningey today... coincidence?

Edit: I did a 30 second Google... Looks like it's supposed to be solid, and blinking indicates a power supply issue:
    https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unm...s/td-p/1202084
    Well, I'll be hornswaggled. Your 30 secs is worth infinitely more than my 10 mins.

I think we are using 10 ports.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast