Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking PADI Sidemount vs TDI Tec Sidemount

Does anyone know if there is any easy way of transferring/adding to my current course (PADI Sidemount) in order to get the TDI Tec Sidemount qualification? Or is it a case of just redoing the course.

Many thanks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nikitakon1 View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any easy way of transferring/adding to my current course (PADI Sidemount) in order to get the TDI Tec Sidemount qualification? Or is it a case of just redoing the course.

Many thanks
    Begs the question, why do you want the TDI cert as well? If it's just for an extra card, then why bother, if you want to expand your training and learning, then surely better to do the whole course?
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why? They're equivalent for all intents and purposes.

All that matters is being good in the water. That has little to do with a course and everything to do with practice. Lots of practice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Why? They're equivalent for all intents and purposes.

All that matters is being good in the water. That has little to do with a course and everything to do with practice. Lots of practice.
    If you want to do follow on TDI/IANTD courses in SM you need to have the TDI/IANTD cert. The PADI one is not recognised.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    If you want to do follow on TDI/IANTD courses in SM you need to have the TDI/IANTD cert. The PADI one is not recognised.
    In my own experience this is not entirely correct, maybe depends on which follow-on course?
    You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    In my own experience this is not entirely correct, maybe depends on which follow-on course?
    My knowledge of TDI/IANTD is not exhaustive. Certainly this is the case for the TDI cave courses. Likewise the PADI Cavern ticket is not recognised (or was not).

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Isn't it up to the instructor to decide if you're good enough to do the course under simple pre-requisites?

PADI Tec training can be good, but only IF it's taught by the right instructor -- and that's not a recreational instructor, it's someone who actually does that kind of diving which makes them a rare commodity in the PADI community. However, in the TDI community, these skills and experience are a complete pre-requisite.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Isn't it up to the instructor to decide if you're good enough to do the course under simple pre-requisites?
    Most agencies have a standards system that requires certain things in order to undertake training. It is up to the certifying agency to decide what it accepts as a prerequisite not the instructor.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    IMO, there is more to this than just meeting standards (and I don't know the TDI standards for this).

There is a huge difference between tech in backmount and sidemount. Equipment and techniques for backmount are pretty standard. As a tech instructor, if a student were to transfer into my program from ANY other agency to take the class in backmount, I would expect to see someone with pretty much the same gear and methodologies as any other agency. In contrast, the differences in sidemount gear, configurations, and methodologies are enormous.

I have technical sidemount training, including overhead environments. I am certified as a sidemount instructor, but I don't teach it. The only reason I have the instructor certification is because I am required to have it in case any of my students want to do the tech classes in sidemount. I don't teach it because I learned to do it one way with one set of gear from one instructor, and I believe that a sidemount instructor should be more versed in the various options than I am. Most of my tech students are backmount, but some are sidemount, and so far only one of my tech students has shown up with the same sidemount gear I trained on and am familiar with. They have come with several different system for rigging deco and stage bottles, some completely new to me. I make sure that they know from the start that I may well know less about how their system works than they do.

Another difference is the standards for what sidemount even looks like. I have seen instructor promotional pictures and videos with the instructor showing skills that would not have gotten him through the classes I took. For example, my instructor taught me that sidemount tanks should be mounted on the side of the body, but I see instructors whose tanks are hanging way out in front of them. Fortunately, every student who has taken my tech classes has come to me with excellent sidemount skills with an excellent familiarity with the systems they were using, meaning I could focus on the other aspects of the class. If a student were to come to me looking like some of the instructors I have seen, then I would have to devote time to teaching sidemount skills first, with them using a system I may not know well.

In summary, there is no telling from this thread what your skills are like coming out of your regular sidemount class. There is no telling what kind of difference there will be between what you learned in sidemount class and what your tech instructor will expect. You may very well want to take the tech sidemount class whether it is a requirement or not. Or you might be just fine the way you are. There is too much uncertainty because the sidemount systems and expectations are still in a state of evolution.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I got a TDI Cave SM ticket after completing the cave course as the instructor was satisfied with the SM ‘skills’ that I demonstrated during the cave course.

Didn’t need the ticket, but there might be a slim chance of wanting to dive SM in one of these officious commercial caves one day, so I though ‘why not?’....

I can’t see any reason to use PADI for anything other than entry level quals.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast