Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dive club website upgrade

Eyup,

The club I'm in needs a new website as our old one is getting rather dated, doesn't work on phones etc.

We need it to have functionality for calendar for trips, and a way of signing up for trips to show who's booked on etc. We don't want or need anything financial on there.

We don't actually need much other content, maybe a few pictures, maybe a space for some trip write ups, but most content has migrated over to faceache. We just need a way to handle trip subscriptions for people who don't do FB and show a presence for try divers or people who want to learn who google for diving in our area.

Sadly I don't have time to learn how to do this from scratch.

Is this anyone's day job, or has anyone done similar, who could point me in the right direction or get a rough order of magnitude cost for having it put together. I'm sure there must be some available modules that can be stuck together or even a template site.

Cheers
    Chris

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Our webhosting is about 80 quid a year and the hosting company will put Wordpress on your site with a single click. You can then buy a Theme for about $20. Now you have a basic website but no content. To build a framework into which you can post stuff is about a day's work and costs about 200 quid. You can outsource it through a freelance site such as people per hour - you just post up your requirements.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Eyup,

The club I'm in needs a new website as our old one is getting rather dated, doesn't work on phones etc.

We need it to have functionality for calendar for trips, and a way of signing up for trips to show who's booked on etc. We don't want or need anything financial on there.

We don't actually need much other content, maybe a few pictures, maybe a space for some trip write ups, but most content has migrated over to faceache. We just need a way to handle trip subscriptions for people who don't do FB and show a presence for try divers or people who want to learn who google for diving in our area.

Sadly I don't have time to learn how to do this from scratch.

Is this anyone's day job, or has anyone done similar, who could point me in the right direction or get a rough order of magnitude cost for having it put together. I'm sure there must be some available modules that can be stuck together or even a template site.

Cheers
    Chris
    Learning to do it from scratch is actually not that hard - there is even a free Google App for it if you only need what you describe. But why on earth don't BSAC do this as a service - a few templates for clubs to populate for a really easy "light" website integrated with the main site that ties to Facebook etc? If you want a super whizzy website you could still do it yourself but most clubs don't have a web developer on the team. I have been looking for a UK club and have looked at a load of websites that don't actually tell you what you need to know or are so horribly out of date that the last trip report is from 2017! I guess what has happened is that folk have migrated over to Facebook or WhatsApp or something for trip organisation and no one uses the website any more so it doesn't get updated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd also suggest looking at Wordpress

Have a look at the following, it uses "Flat Responsive" theme, events are managed by "The Events Calendar" and, Registrations for the Events Calendar" by Modern Tribe. All of the above are free.

https://www.shinraikaratedo.co.uk

Alternatively, if it really is just trips you want to manage, then have a look at Google Calendar, or Google Groups

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    ... I have been looking for a UK club and have looked at a load of websites that don't actually tell you what you need to know or are so horribly out of date that the last trip report is from 2017! I guess what has happened is that folk have migrated over to Facebook or WhatsApp or something for trip organisation and no one uses the website any more so it doesn't get updated.
    As a non facebook person I share this frustration. It's not just clubs either but a lot of commercial places have websites that are out of date and don't show what dives are coming up and available spaces. Given how easy it is to do stuff on the web it is piss poor. A shared calender is hardy rocket science is it?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    As a non facebook person I share this frustration.

+1

and not just dive related. Seemingly lots of businesses just can't be bothered to put in the effort. OK then, if thats how you treat your potential customers I will go elsewhere

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    +1

and not just dive related. Seemingly lots of businesses just can't be bothered to put in the effort. OK then, if thats how you treat your potential customers I will go elsewhere
    +2

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    +1

I know that I am very impatient with websites. If I can't find what I want in less than a minute, I go elsewhere. I think a lot of people are the same.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Web sites are easy.
    Deciding on the layout and writing the content is the hard bit.

Words like 'up to date' imply somebody putting the new stuff in.
    Who does this? For years?
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    Web sites are easy.
    Deciding on the layout and writing the content is the hard bit.

Words like 'up to date' imply somebody putting the new stuff in.
    Who does this? For years?
    If the aim is simply to freshen up the look, make it mobile compatible, add in calendar/event functionality, then WFO may well find that the majority of the content from the old can be copied straight across to the new, at least initially.

WFO : why not pop up a link to the existing website, it may make it easier to advise?
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast