Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    If the aim is simply to freshen up the look, make it mobile compatible, add in calendar/event functionality, then WFO may well find that the majority of the content from the old can be copied straight across to the new, at least initially.
    To be fair we've already got events/trip joining functionality on it but it's hard work

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    I'd also suggest looking at Wordpress

Have a look at the following, it uses "Flat Responsive" theme, events are managed by "The Events Calendar" and, Registrations for the Events Calendar" by Modern Tribe. All of the above are free.

https://www.shinraikaratedo.co.uk

Alternatively, if it really is just trips you want to manage, then have a look at Google Calendar, or Google Groups

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en
    I like the karate website.

One thing we need with this is some control over who joins which trip (need to ask the other club bods) for example do we want trip admin to approve who joins it (if there are for example qualification requirements) and we usually always have a numbers limit for who'll fit on the boat

Same Planet - Different World Liquidity's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hello,

I'm part of the Yorkshire & Humber regional BSAC team.

I share many of the frustrations with club websites and its been a bug bear of mine for a long time. At the last dive conference I gave the marketing team a grilling on why we didn't have a standard template for clubs to use to build websites, something that would get them online, look half decent (if a little cookie cutter to start with) that clubs could play with, learn with and personalise over time. I was told then that that was on the way, but as yet it still hasn't been done on a national level.

I'm not sure what region your in WFO, but we have created a WordPress BSAC site template at a regional level. If you check out Doncaster SAC and Leeds Beckett, you can see it in action.

I can't see why we can't share this with your region, where ever you are and why you can't nick it if it works for you.

If you drop me a line at comms@yhbsac.co.uk I'll see what I can do if your interested.

Cheers

Andy W

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Liquidity; 18-06-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I like the karate website.

One thing we need with this is some control over who joins which trip (need to ask the other club bods) for example do we want trip admin to approve who joins it (if there are for example qualification requirements) and we usually always have a numbers limit for who'll fit on the boat
    Wordpress/Event Manager allows you to limit the amount of available places.

I couldn't see an obvious way of approving attendees before allowing registration... that's not to say it's not possible, just may need a little trial and error first to morph existing functionality into what you're after

I've just had a look at your existing web site, it looks pretty well structured etc, so as per previous, it should be fairly quick and simple to pick up the text and images and port it across to Wordpress.

Most hosting companies provide Wordpress free of charge, with a way to install as part of cpanel, I'd suggest checking there first. If yours does, and your OK with the tech side of stuff, set up a subdomain (e.g dev.lunsdale.org), install Wordpress there to have a play, port the existing data across. Once you're happy that it does what you want you can then copy across to your main root folder to take place of your existing web site. There's a little bit of reconfig needed to address the correct domain and folder structure, but nothing too arduous, just a couple of lines in the PHP.ini file
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the information guys I will have a look into it

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A local lad did ours for us, we gave him a load of information in Word and he designed a simple site that looks good (we think so anyhow) - http://www.budediveclub.co.uk/

Our last trip report is 2017, purely because I've not had chance to sit down and write one up for 2018

https://www.deanwronowski.co.uk/
    Andy
    www.budediveclub.co.uk
    www.gafirs.org.uk
    If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12