Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    AFAIK its from the Pressure Systems Safety Regs 2000 - so long as pressure is <250 bar and pressure x volume <250 bar-litres they do not require "inspection" so a 200 bar 0.1l crack bottle is well within that as are toy steam trains and suchlike.
    In theory that means a 1L suit bottle doesn't need testing - tank monkey's tend to get up set if it isn't though. Wish I had paperwork to show them... anyone??

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    In theory that means a 1L suit bottle doesn't need testing - tank monkey's tend to get up set if it isn't though. Wish I had paperwork to show them... anyone??
    Here's the doc: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l122.pdf it mentions 250 bar litres several times and 'minor systems', but I've not checked the detail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Exempt from testing - got a link for that?
    It might be a "grey" area or I might be wrong (in which case, do I have to apologise, or does someone need to demand that first?)

Pressure Systems Regulations (2000) specify exemptions for systems of less that 250 bar-litres (so a 0.1 litre crack bottle at 200 bar is only 20 bar-litres).

Link - not that I can find, although the BS5045 covers "from 0.5 litre".
    Exempt - only that I've seen posted on this and previous forums.

Even if they're not exempt, as they never get given to a shop to fill, they never get checked for a test date, so I doubt they ever get tested.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have had the conversation and been told they donít care about the rule, since they are filling them they can demand what they like.

Fair enough really.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I have had the conversation and been told they don’t care about the rule, since they are filling them they can demand what they like.

Fair enough really.
    They like it even less when you stand there and pour the water out of an empty one
    and then hand it over with a grin saying "fill that please"................

taz

(just for clarity, I actually saw that)

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    It might be a "grey" area or I might be wrong (in which case, do I have to apologise, or does someone need to demand that first?)
    Never ever apologise on a forum even with photographic evidence proving your guilt - didn't your father or at least Homer Simpson teach you anything?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalMayhem View Post
    Here's the doc: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l122.pdf it mentions 250 bar litres several times and 'minor systems', but I've not checked the detail.
    Its heavy going but ...

Part 1 Pressure systems excepted from all regulations

The most relevant is:

(7) Any plant or equipment required by regulation 6(3)(b) of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 and used or intended to be used in the course of a diving project to which those Regulations apply.

So PSSR doesn't apply to diving equipment?

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its heavy going but ...

Part 1 Pressure systems excepted from all regulations

The most relevant is:

(7) Any plant or equipment required by regulation 6(3)(b) of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 and used or intended to be used in the course of a diving project to which those Regulations apply.

So PSSR doesn't apply to diving equipment?
    6.3 says: (Diving at Work Regulations 1997)

The diving contractor must...

b. ensure that suitable and sufficient plant is available whenever needed to carry out safely and without risk to health both the diving project and any action (including the giving of first-aid) which may be necessary in the event of a reasonably forseeable emergency connected with the diving project;

So IF its provided by the Diving Contractor AND used or intended to be used in connection with Diving Operations while "at work" that is covered by the ACOP which gets you the testing regime we know and love; shops should follow this as they are (obviously) at work

Other diving equipment is covered/exempt by PSSR so your personal crack bottle is fine unless you give it to a gas monkey who is "at work" to fill when the ACOP is applied. Same with cylinders - they need to be "inspected" under the PSSR but the testing regime only comes from the ACOP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123