Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Campervan

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

Everything for the self build, I’ve had stuff off them in the past, very knowledgeable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have had a measure, looked at Jacksons data, and e-mailed them to check that they are suitable. All seems OK but, me being over cautious, I just wanted to hear someone say "yes, I have fitted one with no problem."
    Thanks Taz.
    I have done it before, obviously specific designs and situations differ but in general I can't see a problem.

I'm sure they will provide you with the internal measurements and you can measure them and satisfy yourself it's ok

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I too have a ford transit conversion. But it was a mini bus in it's previous life so I don't have the window problem. Bloody brilliant they are

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginner View Post
    If the camper van/motorhome is MTPLM 3500kg then it will be classed as PLG, the same as a car, if itís over 3500kg then it will be classed as PHGV ( private hgv, which mine is). Donít confuse max unladen weight with MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass). The unladen weight restricts the speed limits and the MTPLM is the TOTAL amount itís allowed to weigh with all your gear and passengers onboard plus fuel,water,gas etc. The plus of having a PHGV is the VED is currently only £165 annually compared to £240 for a PLG.
    The unladen weight will be the manufactures weight as it comes out of the factory with furniture,cooker,fridge etc, it wonít include awnings towbars solar panels, these all have to taken off your payload. Generally most vans that are 3500kgs have as little as 100kg payload upto 600kg. Payload is very important if you wish to stay within the law and within your insurance small print.
    I have got my V5C.
    LGV Panel van.
    Max permissible mass is 2800
    Mass in service is 1821
    I presume that payload is one minus the other 979. I need to know this as the insurance companies ask the question.
    I an still not sure about speed restrictions.
    I will get it weighed after carrying out any mods and with it fully laden. Not sure if this should include passengers as well.
    Any thoughts on this whole matter would be appreciated.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rivers View Post
    I too have a ford transit conversion. But it was a mini bus in it's previous life so I don't have the window problem. Bloody brilliant they are
    Yes, it drives well, ain't too noisy, has a bit of oomph when needed. The turning circle isn't great but that is not the end of the world.
    I will be interested in the MPG. I suspect it will be reasonable with a light right but will go badly if I boot it.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I will get it weighed after carrying out any mods and with it fully laden. Not sure if this should include passengers as well.
    Yes, the payload is everything carried by the vehicle so that includes driver and passengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    Yes, the payload is everything carried by the vehicle so that includes driver and passengers.
    Whoops, best start a diet!
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have just taxed my Transit so I have lost my pikey status.
    Oh, not quite, I have not insured it yet.
    Paul.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I thought you needed insurance to tax it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    I thought you needed insurance to tax it?
    Good point. I just have confirmation from the DVLA that it is now taxed. Perhaps the previous owner has not cancelled his policy yet. I suppose the government just grabbed the money as soon as I offered it.
    As I have no intention of moving it off the drive until insurance is in place I don't really care.
    Paul.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast