Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shapeshifter
    Established TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Where would Shearwater be today if everybody had used that reasoning when they started selling their computers?

Although I can't fault the "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" reasoning, I can't help thinking that maybe sometimes it's worth supporting innovation.

Originally posted by Mark Chase
    Looks great but play it safe and go for a Shearwater which we all know and love

Comment

• witchieblackcat
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by barnaby_s
      Well I have decided to be a trail blazer and see what it is like.

I have placed an order with SDS taking advantage of their interest free credit offer. As you have to call up to do this I asked if there was any discount and got a few pounds off.

Once I have done some diving with it I will try and remember to write a review from the point of view of a recreational diver.
      I bet it disappoints you before the interest free credit expires!

Sorry, a bit late to this thread.

I have a Ratio watch style computer that I used as a watch (and intended to use as an occasional holiday dive computer). Every now and then the watch resets to a random date and time so it's never been a dive computer. I did try it once as a bottom timer but it doesn't remember its mode and because of a kit faff by my buddy it reset to air mode and so I had to bend it because it thought we were diving air on OC and I was diving trimix on CCR.

A friend of mine did have the bit chunky computer. He sent it back numerous times and updated the firmware more regularly than he changed his underwear. He now uses a shearwater.

Comment

• barnaby_s
        Established TDF Member
        • May 2017

Hi WBC,
        Well I guess we will now wait and see, fingers crossed I am lucky than you were.

B.T.W. did I buy (or sell) some camera bits on the northern forum?

Comment

• barnaby_s
          Established TDF Member
          • May 2017

Well it has arrived, and done its firmware update.

The first test will be a nice shallow dive at Skegness Aquarium on Saturday.

Comment

• Diving Dubai
            TDF Member
            • Mar 2017

Delete

Comment

• witchieblackcat
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Hi WBC,
              Well I guess we will now wait and see, fingers crossed I am lucky than you were.
              Let's hope so

B.T.W. did I buy (or sell) some camera bits on the northern forum?
              I think you bought my Olympus SP-350 and/or case quite a while ago.
              IIRC you work for a company with a depot near where Dive Life was.
              Hope it was good!

Comment

• barnaby_s
                Established TDF Member
                • May 2017

First dive with it has been done, an nice gentle 30 minutes at 4m in Skegness aquarium shark tank.

I bought your SP-350 as I had flooded mine, used it for a bit and then upgraded to a Canon S100

Comment

• witchieblackcat
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

First dive with it has been done, an nice gentle 30 minutes at 4m in Skegness aquarium shark tank.
                  Daring!

I bought your SP-350 as I had flooded mine, used it for a bit and then upgraded to a Canon S100
                  They were lovely cameras in their day. I loved mine - well, until I sold it to you anyway.

Comment

• barnaby_s
                    Established TDF Member
                    • May 2017

They were good, still have it somewhere (might even have the housing).

The housing I had for the Olympus 5050 got sold after the sensor in it started to put banding in all the highlights.

Comment

• barnaby_s
                      Established TDF Member
                      • May 2017

Just thought I would put a small update in.
                      So far I have done about 15 dives with the Ratio IX3M, all "sports" dives and I have really liked it.

The only issue I have had was when it lost contact with the tank pod, and then the computer vibrates almost constantly and loudly enough that the dive guide in the Red Sea came over to see what was wrong.
                      What was reassuring about this was that if I ever did trip a real alarm I would REALLY know about it.

It works really well with SubSurface to record upload the dives (both via Bluetooth on phone and laptop, and cable on the laptop).

A buddy who has a couple of ageing Liquidvision dive computer is looking at one for when one of them dies.

Comment

Working...