Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Peru scuba diving?

Hi,

Has anyone dived in Peru please? Probably thinking of Lima? Any thoughts? Is it worth taking my dive gear?

Kind regards,

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We looked at doing some diving when we were in Lima a few years ago and have to say that we couldn't identify much of interest. I have to sayt hat we weren't too worried because our next stop was the Galapagos!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    We looked at doing some diving when we were in Lima a few years ago and have to say that we couldn't identify much of interest. I have to sayt hat we weren't too worried because our next stop was the Galapagos!
    Thanks for reply. Seems there may be a spot for the sea lions but not much else and cold water diving. I wonder where a good diving destination is nr to Lima or the nearest country with decent diving to Peru, any ideas?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There's a colony of sea lions on Isla Ballesta, South of Lima enroute to Pisco and Nazca.

The islands are covered, metres deep, in guana from the sea birds. Bolivar's exploit's across the region left Peru in quite serious debt, one enterprising politician had the idea of selling the guana as fertiliser. This is, according to local guides, the first example of politicians selling shit to get themselves out of trouble.

Diving? I asked around loads, couldn't find a single operator, however that was 18 years ago....
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We did consider diving Lake Titicaca but the logistics of that were too difficult. There was one operation that did it but they require days of build-up dives. Lake Titicaca is still worth seeing though.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have been to Peru. I didn't dive but if you type íperu buceo' into Google, centres come up. Its not going to be warm but neither was Drake's Passage and I dived that

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Chile was definitely chilly when we dived there last year.