Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Patching a membrane suit

Having scraped my arm against a sharp rock in a swimthrough, I'm having to endure my last few dives in Bermuda with a wet arm.

What's the best thing to patch it with when I get home? Anyone tried those Stormsure TUFF patches?
    See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
    Having scraped my arm against a sharp rock in a swimthrough, I'm having to endure my last few dives in Bermuda with a wet arm.

What's the best thing to patch it with when I get home? Anyone tried those Stormsure TUFF patches?

I'd use a two part glue like Alpha 2000.

First use a bit of masking tape on the outside to temporarily close the scrape then work on the inside.
    Depends how large the cut/scrape, but better to use a wide 40mm tape then thinner stuff and if
    near the elbow etc, maybe even put a couple of transverse strips to reinforce. Roll it hard with a wallpaper
    roller and put a weight on it for 2 days.

Once this lot is done then put a strip on the outside, Can use masking tape to make the area neat
    and cut tape to suit slightly smaller than the slot. Again once done use a weight for two days.

Depending on the material you may need to rough up a bit with some grit, clean with MEK and
    use two coats before contact, Some suits usually those that use heat tapes don't take glue well
    unless it's got a primer coat first then the final contact coat, so doing the inside allows to have a
    play. Even if the membrane takes glue ok, two coats won't hurt. Dust the lot with talc after and pump
    up to check for leaks.
    Last edited by Tel; 12-05-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I see I can get that glue on eBay. Where do you get your tape from?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I get 50-70m rolls trade, but for what you want can get by the metre online

https://safequip.co.uk/product/40mm_rubber_tape/

http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/38...OF10138MM.html

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’ve used the tuff tape, or the other brand I can’t remember the name of that even sticks under water, on a slice in my knee crawling out of a quarry. Been on over 2 years now, still dry, still passes pressure test when sent suit in for other leaks. If it’s a linear tear or slice you can match the edges of, I’d try the tape initially, cheaper and quicker. (I fixed my suit between dives before a week on a live aboard!)

Rich