Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lines in Upstream Hurtle

I was tidying up the lines between Jingle Junction and Jingle Bell in upstream Hurtle on Saturday, and yet again I found a load of tech line in there.

There was a good length of 3mm white nylon line from the top of the void, up to Frog hall - I've stripped it out and replaced it with something more suitable. Although it was better than the usual 1mm shite I find in there, its still completely inappropriate for the conditions.

Please please please, can people stop using white nylon line in caves in the Yorkshire Dales, no matter how thick it is. White nylon line is very soft and quickly abraids, especially in high flow situations like The Void. After a single flood, that line would of been ripped to shreds and could of been a serious entanglement hazard. White nylon line is also hard to feel in gloved, cold hands as its so soft, quickly goes brown in the peat stained water so is difficult to see and is difficult to manage and remove once its fucked. If you get to some broken line in a cave in the Yorkshire Dales, then either fix it with something appropriate (6mm polyprop or plastic coated washing line), or leave it alone and the local divers will fix it (if you post on public side of the CDG forum, somebody will get onto it pretty quick). I often find this type of line in Hurtle and eventually it will kill somebody - please dont do it.

If non CDG people are laying line in caves in the Dales, then consider joining the CDG. We are a fairly friendly bunch and have a lot of experience laying line in caves in UK conditions, so can help train you in best practice. At the very least, if people are altering lines, then can they post a message on the public side of the CDG forum, so the entire community knows whats going on.

Thanks

Ben Wright
    CDG Northern Section.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You will be running out of old washing line soon with all that tidying

Seeing your post reminds me that I am due to get back down there in the next few weeks, probably see you there no doubt!
    Last edited by ScottyG; 15-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For Scotty G - a few of us have a project running in the Hurtle system atm. I travel down from Stirling on a fairly regular basis so you are more than welcome to car share and save on fuel. I'm mostly doing day trips atm but will be doing a few weekends soon.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

And yes - please don't use technical line (especially in Hurtle) - the line will break (climbing rope and steel chain have been used in Hurtle - all break), hang in the voids and be a nasty surprise for someone.

Buy some nice thick polypropylene
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great, I will let you know. I am further South than you, near Abington Services so I generally go up and down in the same day

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have never fancied cave diving, it would be tooo far out of my comfort zone. Quite frankly, I think you are all a little mad. But then I would also say that about hang gliders and mountain climbers. ( Yes, I am a bit of a woose.)
    Saying that, I really appreciate the attention to detail that you guys put towards all that you do. Not just in what you do yourselves but also the communication between each other. Long may you all enjoy what you do and long may you all keep each other safe.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I find the whole OH / cave environment very relaxing and peaceful. Even when navigating through the tighter passages. Each to their own l suppose but yes, it is not for everyone

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi steelemonkey - it's all relative, and training and experience are gathered over many years.

"Nice and safe and boring" is a quote from a much more experienced diver than I, but the laying (or following) of appropriate line, discipline of line junctions, gas management, zero visibility and lost line drills (and many, many other training aspects) are all things which go relatively unseen.

So what can seem like someone going off to do something "crazy" has actually been thought about, probably discussed with peers, planned and replanned before cautiously proceeding.

Cave diver or not - I would urge you to get a copy of Martyn Farr's book, "The Darkness Beckons" (https://www.farrworld.co.uk/books/) which covers the subject in terms of it's development history and worldwide application.
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dear All,

Please be advised that upstream Hurtle (around the Hindenburg area) some of the builders tape used for surveying has become frayed, 20m of tape has been cleared away but the rest (around another 20m) is loose. It is easy enough to cut and will be cleared away as soon as better conditions prevent themselves.

There is an orange builders reel tucked under a rock, this is fine please leave.

Best wishes and safe diving.