Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torpedo Parts!

Established TDF Member Decosnapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Torpedo Parts!

More garage clearance items are available. This time, torpedo parts including a MK VIII or MK IX engine (mostly complete) and a dummy/practice warhead.

Same page as free-to-good-home dive gear...just scroll down...

I already have a torpedo engine. Its undergoing restoration and they are truly fascinating engines. They develop a lot of power for such a compact unit...if you want to read more, there is a whole thread devoted to the restoration. SWMBI has advised one torpedo engine is enough for any man...which is fair enough as there is another resto project lining up nicely that would struggle for room if I started to collect the things...

Open to offers on all. Forget postage this stuff is made of bronze and heavy as f**k. Collection only!

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decosnapper View Post
    More garage clearance items are available. This time, torpedo parts including a MK VIII or MK IX engine (mostly complete) and a dummy/practice warhead.

Same page as free-to-good-home dive gear...just scroll down...

I already have a torpedo engine. Its undergoing restoration and they are truly fascinating engines. They develop a lot of power for such a compact unit...if you want to read more, there is a whole thread devoted to the restoration.

Open to offers on all. Forget postage this stuff is made of bronze and heavy as f**k. Collection only!
    Don't you need a license to sell weapons?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As a suggestion, the Explosion! museum in Portsmouth, part of the Royal Navy Museums has quite a good range of torpedoes and history of torpedoes. Would they be interested for there, or maybe the Submarine Museum, do you think? Then more people can see it and appreciate it.

Rich

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Don't you need a license to sell weapons?
    License?

For weapons? Yeah, ITAR/Export Control/Firearms dealing would need some state oversight and control.

However, for antique component parts that are never going to work again as long as my arse has a hole in in?

No, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1280 View Post
    As a suggestion, the Explosion! museum in Portsmouth, part of the Royal Navy Museums has quite a good range of torpedoes and history of torpedoes. Would they be interested for there, or maybe the Submarine Museum, do you think? Then more people can see it and appreciate it.
    A good idea, but your average Mk VIII or IX engine is pretty bog-standard and was used for decades in service from 1927 onwards. They were pretty successful and were used to sink the Belgrano in 84. There are complete examples - including engines - on display around the country.

But its rare to find one in private hands. Donating one to a museum is a sound idea but sadly will not raise funds for the Paul Meyer story - which is where any monies raised will be spent. Hence the sale.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Donating one to a museum is a sound idea but sadly will not raise funds for the Paul Meyer story - which is where any monies raised will be spent. Hence the sale.
    Maybe check to see if the Museum would want it and if they do, we could have a whip round on TDF for you to donate it to the Museum?
    I'm not sure how much it's worth but I'd stick a tenner in the pot to get it started!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Make an interesting start for a fast DPV project lol.
    Good luck with sale

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Make an interesting start for a fast DPV project lol.
    I had a complete MK 44 air dropped torpedo a while back. They are battery powered rather than diesel and stuck the motor on a car battery. The pair of contra-rotating props burst into life and the thought of a DPV project started running through my creative brain...but it is worth remembering these bad boys were good for 30knts so less than practical...plus SWMBI said an intact torpedo was just not on and it had to go...the local Sea Cadets thought their Christmas and birthday had arrived at the same time when I donated it.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had a complete MK 44 air dropped torpedo a while back. They are battery powered rather than diesel and stuck the motor on a car battery. The pair of contra-rotating props burst into life and the thought of a DPV project started running through my creative brain...but it is worth remembering these bad boys were good for 30knts so less than practical...plus SWMBI said an intact torpedo was just not on and it had to go...the local Sea Cadets thought their Christmas and birthday had arrived at the same time when I donated it.

What did the cadets do with it?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    What did the cadets do with it?
    No idea. But they were genuinely delighted.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Supplying potential terrorists! The charges are racking up.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast