Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JJ 1st stage OPVs

Just serviced my rebreather regs and the opvs are looking a little crusty. Does anyone know if these are servicable? I can see the small hex hole at the top but thought there was a good chance of rounding this out and I want to go diving tomorrow.

Cheers
    Phil

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On my inspo I've always just stuck them into the ultrasonic bath, then rinsed thoroughly in fresh water before drying them out completely and I've never had any issues do far.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    White vinegar as a cheap and cheerful should work, my Poseidon suit opv blew itself across the track last week at the quarry and miraculously I both found it and managed to clean it up on site with a bit of silicone spray.
    Last edited by JonG; 14-04-2019 at 10:13 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dunny View Post
    I can see the small hex hole at the top but thought there was a good chance of rounding this out and I want to go diving tomorrow.

Cheers
    Phil

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    You won't round them out as they are only under the load of an internal spring that bottoms out quite easily. Screw it out dump all the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, stick a new o ring on the and calibrate it to blow off at 14 bar. P.s if it's blowing off gas check the I.P on the 1st stage, it might be creeping up.

Cathal
    Last edited by cathal; 14-04-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes serviceable with Biox or ultra sonic but be advised Always carry a spare.

Scuzzed up OPV on my JJ cost me a dive once Spare has saved me a dive more than once.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I hade a 1st stage go bang a few years ago. The OPV failed to blow off. It was a suit reg so under cared for, turned out the HP seat failed taking my IP guage with it. Blew the transponder right out through the 1st stage diaphragm.

I changed all my OPVs after that
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum