Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DIY Sidemount Harness

If I do end up going to France next year, looking at the caves available, and indeed for some of the sites over here, clearly sidemount is the best/only option. I just wondered how easy a DIY set up is, or whether a package is better.

I have seen some patterns on scuabtecphillipines and Kent Tooling do a basic rig without the wing etc. I think Martin Farr has knocked some up before now and the CDG must have done.

Ideally if it could be built around my backplate that I use on doubles and RB that would be even better.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a halcyon contour going for a steal - done 2-4 dives

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When you say a steal, what does that mean when a blue H is involved...........

What size is it too Graham or just 1 size fits all

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its original contour so N/american / European sized. I never even put it on but was able to fit some regular sized people (70-80kg 1.70-1.8m)

I'd take any sensible offer - its just gathering dust and getting in way in garage

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You do like your open questions Jon!

As I see it (will preface it with that as there's many other experts on here that have far more experience), it falls into the two camps of the CDG-style no-mount harnesses and the ready rigged camp which has many variants.

The no-mount harnesses -- Martyn Farr's, Warmbac's, etc. -- but loads of home-made variants are suited to the UK caving-to-get-to-sump style of diving. Some home made ones even work with SRT (rope climbing) kit. You need to add buoyancy to these which can even be an innertube!

The made-up harnesses are from the Florida and Mexican environments including the XDeep Stealth, Razor and all their myriad variants and copies; Apeks, Halcyon, Hollis...

There's also the "Toddy" style harness which started as a couple of backplates sandwiching a twinset bladder.

Lots described on the highly recommended Speaking Sidemount podcast. Steve Davis (not the interesting one) interviews loads of different people well-known in the industry including the geezers who designed the Razor, Stealth & Toddy systems. Plus some CDG people such as Mike Thomas.

Seems that the XDeep Stealth's pretty common and well regarded. I ended up with one of those.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Its original contour so N/american / European sized. I never even put it on but was able to fit some regular sized people (70-80kg 1.70-1.8m)

I'd take any sensible offer - its just gathering dust and getting in way in garage
    Thanks Graham, I am 1.93m and around 85kg so might not fit, plus looking online there is a bit of a premium attached to them.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Thanks Graham, I am 1.93m and around 85kg so might not fit, plus looking online there is a bit of a premium attached to them.
    You are definitely not as wide as me - but 70kg @ 1.7 would be comparable width I would guess. In any case the retail is not important just what you're prepared to offer - if you don't ike it or it doesn't fit just cover postage and return it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just made one out of a ratchet strap and some bits i had kicking about and a couple of bits from sump uk
    MSR water bag as a bladder is cheap. I've glued up a bladder with a bit of curtain sider material which seems strong.

Mine just started off as a half pissed conversation about why side mount harnesses needed to be these complicated fkin Xdeep things for the same price that you can put a rebreather together for and a "sod it lets have a go". design should work for caving and open water but we will see.

Question to ask is where are you going to use the thing?
    Last edited by WFO; 30-04-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I just made one out of a ratchet strap and some bits i had kicking about and a couple of bits from sump uk
    MSR water bag as a bladder is cheap. I've glued up a bladder with a bit of curtain sider material which seems strong.

Mine just started off as a half pissed conversation about why side mount harnesses needed to be these complicated fkin Xdeep things for the same price that you can put a rebreather together for and a "sod it lets have a go". design should work for caving and open water but we will see.

Question to ask is where are you going to use the thing?
    Well if I go to France some of the access is tight and pretty much sidemount only even in some of the iconic locations, I also fancy some of the other sites in Classic Darksite in the UK and they are definitely sidemount territory.

Even my "house" mine at Bakewell is a PITA with back mount because the access adit is low in several places and when your 6'4" its even lower, rolled the doubles on first time there (with no first stages) and dinked the RB second time, so would be easier for a quick practice dive.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    You are definitely not as wide as me - but 70kg @ 1.7 would be comparable width I would guess. In any case the retail is not important just what you're prepared to offer - if you don't ike it or it doesn't fit just cover postage and return it.
    Thanks for the offer Graham, but quite like the idea of a pikey DIY approach, plus would be a winter project when the sea isn't calling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast