X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehebs
    TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Comprssion bandage whilst diving

I have managed to injure my knee with too much running and walking, so as Part of the treatment/recovery I have a knee support compression bandage on my knee whilst walking. I shore dived for the first time since I injured the tendon the other day and me, the kit and the walk down the rough beach was painful and has set the injury back a little

I had not put the knee bandage on, as to my mind if its very tight around my knee it is stopping some blood flow, so might give me problems off gassing. That was just the idea on the day, am I being a bit paranoid, I know we have tight neck and wrist seals, but they are not as tight as the bandage.

So anyone else dove with compression bandages on. I just don, t want to set my knee injury back any.

Thank you in advance
  • Moleshome
    TDF Member
    • Jun 2017

Presumably even with restricted blood flow it still won't be the slowest compartment so not a limiting factor.

Comment

• Neilwood
      Established TDF Member
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by leehebs
      I have managed to injure my knee with too much running and walking, so as Part of the treatment/recovery I have a knee support compression bandage on my knee whilst walking. I shore dived for the first time since I injured the tendon the other day and me, the kit and the walk down the rough beach was painful and has set the injury back a little

I had not put the knee bandage on, as to my mind if its very tight around my knee it is stopping some blood flow, so might give me problems off gassing. That was just the idea on the day, am I being a bit paranoid, I know we have tight neck and wrist seals, but they are not as tight as the bandage.

So anyone else dove with compression bandages on. I just don, t want to set my knee injury back any.

Thank you in advance
      Personally, I would skip the dives until the knee is sufficiently recovered. Pushing injured tendons with heavy gear and shore entries where you are quite likely to slip/slide about does not seem to me to be the best way to help the recovery. If you keep doing the dives, you risk the same damage every time which could set you back a long way in the long run.

I did a similar thing with my ankle playing 5 a side footy - I kept coming back after insufficient recovery of 2-3 weeks, never got physio for it, played on with neoprene strappings, compression bandages etc and now have an ankle with very low stability (to the extent that I can sit at my desk and click the ankle out of alignment and then back in with zero loading). Every time I did it (with the benefit of hindsight), I guess that I effectively weakened the ankle by another 5% or so With hindsight, I should have left it for a 4-6 weeks with physio and only returned when it was 100% better.

Comment

• leehebs
        TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Thanks I know I being a bit to careful, but I have reached that age 60 when I take a little more care

Comment

• Divemouse
          Pedantic Pig
          • Dec 2012

How deep are you going?
          Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• leehebs
            TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

At present most dives will be under 30m , non deco apart from my 3 mins at 5 m safety stop. I live a good way from any chamber so always err on the side of caution
            Last edited by leehebs; 29-04-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Divemouse
              Pedantic Pig
              • Dec 2012

Ooh, that's a middling. I was hoping for 10m, which would have been obvious.
              Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• leehebs
                TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

lol Saturdays dive was max 27m for 45 mins

Comment

Working...