Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gran Canaria - Nautico Dive Academy

I have posted on here previously about my diving in Gran Canaria (I am lucky to have friends living out there who I stay with and also squeeze some diving in when I visit). This is a little bit of an update as the dive centre I dive with has recently changed hands and therefore name. Still in the same location but now called Nautico Dive Academy instead of Dive Academy Gran Canaria. Details of the centre and new owners here: https://www.nautico-diveacademy.com/

I dived there on the Thursday and Friday of the Easter weekend when it had just changed over, so other than the staff wearing different t-shirts and driving a different van, it was pretty much the same. There may be changes as time goes on but as far as I am aware they plan to continue to offer free transfers from hotels / apartments etc. in nearby areas.

I got 4 dives in - 2 at the El Cabron marine reserve and 2 at Tufia. All dives were shore dives which means an amusing clamber over rocks to get in and out at El Cabron and an amusingly steep little hill to get to and from the beach at Tufia, nothing unmanageable though and as always the staff were very helpful with getting in and out of the water. I also opted to dive with a 10L tank, so slightly lighter for scrambling about.

Water temp was 19 degrees and the air temp around 20-23 degrees. On the cusp of my wet suit tolerance, but as I was only doing a couple of days diving I was fine in o'three 6x5mm semi dry with dive skins underneath and a sharkskin hood. Max depths around 25m. Plenty of life as usual at both sites including nudibranchs absolutely everywhere, cuttlefish, octopus, trumpetfish, barracuda, parrot fish, morays, groupers etc. Few of the usual point and shoot grade holiday snaps below! Would still recommend the dive centre and Gran Canaria in general for some interesting shore dives.

Last edited by smileydiver; 29-04-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added a trumpet fish pic
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Great photos Faye. Falled behind somewhat with my lists of reports. Will catch up one day :-)

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great pics as usual ,If you don't mind me asking what camera do you use ?

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy72 View Post
    Great pics as usual ,If you don't mind me asking what camera do you use ?
    Thanks it is an Olympus TG4 in the accompanying underwater housing. It is pretty tough and has an underwater mode which I use
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau