Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bonaire - February 2019 . . . . A brief report & pic's.

Bonaire - February 2019.

Landing at Flamingo airport is always a pleasure and the short walk from the aeroplane through customs to baggage reclaim is a very welcome stretch of the legs.

We chose a small guest house complex this time which proved to be excellent for our needs and was spotlessly clean with good access to the southern dive sites and also supermarkets without the need to drive through town which can be slow when cruise ships are in.

The amount of cruise ships and traffic has noticeably increased in the last two or three years as has the building work which hopefully won't spoil the island as a diving destination or make it difficult for the locals that live there, with no crystal ball it's hard to tell and at the moment we didn't find it affected our stay there at all.

The conditions while we were there were windy with the visibility low at times yet nothing that would bother the UK diver, on most dives we had in excess of 25 meters and only on one dive at Salt Pier did we have about 5 meters in the shallows.

Overall the diving was very good with lots to see, in the two week's we had 7 frogfish, spotted eagle rays, plenty of turtles and the usual mix of reef fish though we never came across a seahorse this trip but since returning friends have sent us pictures of seahorse and a nurse shark.

Night dives were fun especially when accompanied by the tarpon and the dusk dives were bristling with life producing many photo opportunities.

Again the holiday ended all too soon . . . . .

Here's some pic's of what we saw:

Yellowhead Jawfish - Opistognathus aurifrons

Yellow Longlure Frogfish - Antennarius multiocellatus

Tarpon with Ramora

Sharknose Goby - Gobiosoma evelynae

Secretary Blenny - Acanthemblemaria

Peppermint Goby - Coruphopterus lipernes

Honeycomb cowfish - Lactophrys polygonius

Hawksbill Turtle - Eretmochelys imbricata

Green Turtle - Chelonia mydas

Caribbean reef squid - Sepioteuthis sepioidea

Azure vase sponge - Callyspongia plicifera & Creolefish - Paranthias furcifer
    Last edited by Firefly; 16-03-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I saw the words "Firefly" and "pics" and clicked with great expectation.
    I was not disappointed.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I saw the words "Firefly" and "pics" and clicked with great expectation.
    I was not disappointed.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Can’t see any pics of fireflies anywhere, just a bunch of fish 😛

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like the purple vase sponge and fish. ?creole wrasse.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Like the purple vase sponge and fish. ?creole wrasse.
    Cheers Tim, just amended it.

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Would you mind sharing how much this trip cost? I have been thinking about Bonaire for a while (I loved Curacao a few years ago). I couldn't find anything for less than 2 K for a week when the car hire, cylinders and accommodation were added in. I was wondering about Captain Don's Habitat or similar. Any tips on how to book? Who to book with?

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    Would you mind sharing how much this trip cost? I have been thinking about Bonaire for a while (I loved Curacao a few years ago). I couldn't find anything for less than 2 K for a week when the car hire, cylinders and accommodation were added in. I was wondering about Captain Don's Habitat or similar. Any tips on how to book? Who to book with?
    We’ve been to Bonaire twice. On both occasions we stayed at Coral Paradise (https://coralparadise.com/en/). While they describe themselves as a “resort”, it’s eight twin self-catering apartments rather than a “resort” like Buddy Dive or Captain Don’s.
    Currently advertising a week’s accommodation inclusive of vehicle hire and airport transfer for $775.

We dived with Buddy Dive (https://www.buddydive.com/) who are virtually next door ($175 for unlimited shore diving on 32%). I think we arranged this separately, though Coral Paradise do an package inclusive of tanks and nitrox for $945 - I’m not sure if that’s with their own filling or if they have an arrangement with Buddy.

We will definitely be going back to both Coral Paradise and Buddy Dive!

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Stunning photos, the turtle with the black background is my favourite
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    Hi PV, Your not far off it with that price, here's a quick breakdown of our costs this year for 2 people for two weeks:

Flight's . . . . . . . . . . . £1890 - KLM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Reliable (The only downside is the strange meals they serve)
    Acommodation . . . . . . £1200 - Amarula Guest House . . . . . . . . . We went through AirB&B.
    Air and weights . . . . . . $840 - Dive Friends . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Very helpful and have 6 pick up points on the Island.
    4 door Truck . . . . . . . . $550 - Island rentals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Very handy as they are right opposite the airport.
    Marine park tag . . . . . . $50 - Soon to be raised to $45 per person
    Tourist tax . . . . . . . . . $160

Booking with all the above was easy enough online.

If you are taking camera gear I'd advise a 4 door truck otherwise there's no room inside for the rig and be sure to take a good dry-box for the key.

We have been with Buddy before who have excellent dock facilities is a great location and brilliant for night dives but after 5 years of being given rubbish trucks and also 2 door when a 4 door was requested we moved on.

Hope this helps, happy holiday shopping,

Gary.
    Last edited by Firefly; 18-03-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Very Helpful, thank you Gary.