Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    403
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    226

    DiveAbility on the telly!

    We've got a BBC news crew filming at our pool session tomorrow for an item about diving with disabilities on the 6:30 news*. It's BBC South so just local news but good publicity just the same.


    *whether that's the 6:30 news tomorrow or just an item they'll fit in sometime in the future I don't know.

  2. #2
    Prior Member Tim Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Midlands UK
    Posts
    4,294
    Likes (Given)
    2908
    Likes (Received)
    3275
    Just interested, not critical yes or no, but do you get consent from your disabled participants for filming?
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

  3. #3
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    403
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    226
    A fair question. Everyone's been told they can ask not to be filmed but if they say nothing then they'll assumed to consent. For anyone underage there will be a written consent process.

  4. #4
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    632
    Likes (Given)
    77
    Likes (Received)
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    A fair question. Everyone's been told they can ask not to be filmed but if they say nothing then they'll assumed to consent. For anyone underage there will be a written consent process.
    What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller can’t use a none response as consent.

  5. #5
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    2,245
    Likes (Given)
    1375
    Likes (Received)
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller cant use a none response as consent.
    /shakes head/

  6. #6
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    745
    Likes (Given)
    633
    Likes (Received)
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller can’t use a none response as consent.
    I’d argue that news-worthy story = legitimate interest therefore consent is not required...

  7. #7
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    599
    Likes (Given)
    350
    Likes (Received)
    369
    News reporting gets a a pretty comprehensive exemption from GDPR, for filming in public places the lack of objection is considered consent.
    A BBC news team will have this covered.

    I'm a little surprised a post about publicizing the inclusivity and accessibility of the diving community has got such a frosty reception from TDF.

  8. #8
    Remember, remember Adrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    2,158
    Likes (Given)
    1162
    Likes (Received)
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    News reporting gets a a pretty comprehensive exemption from GDPR, for filming in public places the lack of objection is considered consent.
    A BBC news team will have this covered.

    I'm a little surprised a post about publicizing the inclusivity and accessibility of the diving community has got such a frosty reception from TDF.
    Some people are just so process driven they lose sight of why the process exists. Doing things right becomes more important that doing the right thing. Some won't even act to change the process if they think it is wrong or assume it applies to cases outside of their own knowledge.

    AKA Jobsworths.
    Mah N Mah N

  9. #9
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    632
    Likes (Given)
    77
    Likes (Received)
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy_uk View Post
    Id argue that news-worthy story = legitimate interest therefore consent is not required...
    I would agree with you, but asking if anyone objects kills the medias Lagitimate Interest and moves the whole think to concent. GDPR is part of my day job, and the ICO is looking to clamp down on the current soft opt-in use.

  10. #10
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    599
    Likes (Given)
    350
    Likes (Received)
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    We've got a BBC news crew filming at our pool session tomorrow for an item about diving with disabilities on the 6:30 news*. It's BBC South so just local news but good publicity just the same.
    That sounds great, always good to get diving some good publicity and keep the sport alive with new people who might not have considered it until they saw it on the TV.

    A friend of mine has a spinal injury and was introduced to diving with Deptherapy, it's really helped him.

    Hope it goes well Stig.
    Last edited by ManualOverride; 08-03-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •