Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DiveAbility on the telly!

We've got a BBC news crew filming at our pool session tomorrow for an item about diving with disabilities on the 6:30 news*. It's BBC South so just local news but good publicity just the same.

*whether that's the 6:30 news tomorrow or just an item they'll fit in sometime in the future I don't know.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just interested, not critical yes or no, but do you get consent from your disabled participants for filming?
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A fair question. Everyone's been told they can ask not to be filmed but if they say nothing then they'll assumed to consent. For anyone underage there will be a written consent process.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    A fair question. Everyone's been told they can ask not to be filmed but if they say nothing then they'll assumed to consent. For anyone underage there will be a written consent process.
    What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller can’t use a none response as consent.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller cant use a none response as consent.
    /shakes head/

Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller can’t use a none response as consent.
    I’d argue that news-worthy story = legitimate interest therefore consent is not required...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    News reporting gets a a pretty comprehensive exemption from GDPR, for filming in public places the lack of objection is considered consent.
    A BBC news team will have this covered.

I'm a little surprised a post about publicizing the inclusivity and accessibility of the diving community has got such a frosty reception from TDF.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    News reporting gets a a pretty comprehensive exemption from GDPR, for filming in public places the lack of objection is considered consent.
    A BBC news team will have this covered.

I'm a little surprised a post about publicizing the inclusivity and accessibility of the diving community has got such a frosty reception from TDF.
    Some people are just so process driven they lose sight of why the process exists. Doing things right becomes more important that doing the right thing. Some won't even act to change the process if they think it is wrong or assume it applies to cases outside of their own knowledge.

AKA Jobsworths.
    Mah N Mah N

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy_uk View Post
    Id argue that news-worthy story = legitimate interest therefore consent is not required...
    I would agree with you, but asking if anyone objects kills the medias Lagitimate Interest and moves the whole think to concent. GDPR is part of my day job, and the ICO is looking to clamp down on the current soft opt-in use.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    We've got a BBC news crew filming at our pool session tomorrow for an item about diving with disabilities on the 6:30 news*. It's BBC South so just local news but good publicity just the same.
    That sounds great, always good to get diving some good publicity and keep the sport alive with new people who might not have considered it until they saw it on the TV.

A friend of mine has a spinal injury and was introduced to diving with Deptherapy, it's really helped him.

Hope it goes well Stig.
    Last edited by ManualOverride; 08-03-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast