Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I think the new handhelds and their better batteries make umbilicals a thing of the past. LEDs have better light and last ages on a set of batteries
    Quite possibly. This is the reason I had to buy a rebreather.

Imagine if somebody saw me with one of these monstrosities! https://4thelement-diving.co.uk/prod...-hose-retainer
    Last edited by NWdiver; 06-03-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the new handhelds and their better batteries make umbilicals a thing of the past. LEDs have better light and last ages on a set of batteries
    But where do you put your long hose?

Just askin!! Ducks.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a halcyon eos primary and love it, you can pick them up for reasonable money. Bullet proof, long burn time, bright enough for anything im prepared to do - that said Laura uses my metalsub 400r and one of those cheap amazon hand straps. Beam is much narrower but its perfectly suitable for wreck and quarries. Personally i would want (not need) more in mines and caves but the whole set up cost £150 new and does the majority of what mine does with an albiet tighter beam and without the mighty H engraved on the head...i just give her a spare battery to stow the long hose as im too much of a tart to allow one of those pencil retainers near me, plus she can drop a kilo and i can plug my heated stuff in when putting her kit away!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hello all,

Many thanks for the replies. Indeed, I too have heard stories of the customer service from LFM being a bit below than some would have hoped - hence my hesitation to go for them. I currently have one of their 'TEC' back up lights, pretty sturdy - but it's the only torch I own from them at the moment.

I aim to do some more video this year, but I suspect that if I have camera kit, it'll have lights already on it - so no need for the NW7.

I know of a few 4TEC's available nearer my range of bank balance, the 7XPE is one I would like to have a closer look at too, possibly. It'll mostly be used to poke around in the dark and deduce some back-scatter while in cr*p viz surveys. It'd be interesting to hear what people get out of the 4.4aH battery with the 4TEC.

Tango
    Last edited by Tango Charlie; 06-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    BSAC have just sent me a 25% discount code for these chaps:
    https://anchordivelights.com/product...oodman-handle/

Never heard of them but might be worth a look, anyone else?

On the long hose question, I didn't follow my own advice and got a suit with only 1 pocket so I have a pouch pocket on my webbing where the canister would normally go and my long hose goes around that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Those are Diving Dec's brand of torches. Very good customer services and I have never heard a negative review.

Dec is easy to deal with and realises the impact of negative PR (a hell of a lot better than some brands!!) so he will always do his best to put you right
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncertainplume View Post
    I attached a 'fake' cable to the light and ran that down to my harness belt so it 'feels' like a canister light.
    You did what?
    Exactly that. The light head usually sits in my helmet. If it is connected to the harness with a cable then I won't lose it if it gets knocked out, or I drop it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All true until you drop it. Umbilicals dangle or can easily be dropped in extremis. Well, not an E-O connected one.

I have a LFM NW7 which will exactly fit your bill for a descent primary with video capability. Works well.

I'd like to recommend Light For Me, but there's no after service.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    All true until you drop it. Umbilicals dangle or can easily be dropped in extremis. Well, not an E-O connected one.

I have a LFM NW7 which will exactly fit your bill for a descent primary with video capability. Works well.

I'd like to recommend Light For Me, but there's no after service.
    It's very old fashion, and not at all tech trendy, but you could try a wrist leash.....

And round we go. Full circle lol......

Sent from a Japanese phone, not that yanky apple shit. 😉
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncertainplume View Post
    I attached a 'fake' cable to the light and ran that down to my harness belt so it 'feels' like a canister light.
    You did what?
    I considered this - If you drop a hand held torch (when sorting out the dsmb or something), it's gone. With a wrist leash it dangles near your hand and gets another bit of string near the reel. With an umbilical, if you drop the head, it dangles about 500mm below you. So adding a "fake" umbilical to a hand held torch makes it behave like an umbilical torch if you accidentally drop it.

(I know, dropping it is somewhat sub-optimal, but it's reasonably likely)

I considered it, but bought an umbilical anyway.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast