Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BSAC Elections

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    This is the least controversial election on TDF in years. Almost as if people reasiled no one cares about BSAC politics and those few that do vote, just vite for their buddies or for the status quo
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    This is the least controversial election on TDF in years. Almost as if people reasiled no one cares about BSAC politics and those few that do vote, just vite for their buddies or for the status quo
    Bit like brexit.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Francis Rossi is standing? Cool.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Itís hard not to in some ways because itís really tricky to understand if anyone is any good from their personal statement / Ďmanifestoí. You can say ĎI will improve the websiteí or Ď We will attract new membersí but without much clue as to costs / budgets itís never really clear if there is a firm plan behind the words.

Of course, itís a problem with all elections but BSAC elections arenít exactly headline news on the telly, so you donít even see candidates in action.

I reckon everyone should have to record a short video and at least we would know if they came across as persuasive/ convincing - both of which are helpful in council.

It would also be a bit more interactive, modern and engaging for the website...

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Denny View Post

I reckon everyone should have to record a short video and at least we would know if they came across as persuasive/ convincing - both of which are helpful in council.

It would also be a bit more interactive, modern and engaging for the website...
    On the other hand we did elect Bliar and Cameron as they was more photogenic than Major and Brown so it may be best to avoid that...
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How about a live streamed hustings. This way candidates could be quizzed on their plans with BSAC members allowed to attend in person, watch remotely or catch up on the video later.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

BSAC Council Candidate 2017 TrevorB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Clamp View Post
    NAAFI here Lanny . Wondered when this would raise its head. Yes, well done to Trev :-)
    It's very difficult to explain your position in 200 words so I have added the explanations in italics, I hope this helps, thanks for the support Eddie

BSAC council is about setting BSAC policies and how we manage our resources.

The resources need focusing at branch level, this is the only place we will reverse our membership decline. Its short sighted to expect to fill the membership shortfall by increasing the cost of training packs and subscriptions, this will only hasten our demise. What we need is more members and that will only come from how we deliver our services at branch level and what we charge for them.

We all pay a branch and BSAC fee, the problem is the rising cost of BSAC, not just the membership, but the rising hidden costs of training packs. The BSAC part needs reducing, we can use the money more effectively at branch level. This is where we will attract and retain future members.

BSAC do a good job of sorting problems from cylinder testing to giving scuba a public face, but we need an affordable fee so every diver will support what we do. Scuba needs a BSAC it's not about who you trained with, it's about national support for our hobby.

The DFA programme is a good first step, but we need all our instructors on board to make it work and to this end it needs it to be F.O.C. for all instructors, we cannot expect our branch volunteer instructors to keep giving.

DFA is teaching disabled people to dive and has been a long time coming, but we need to resource it with some of the £2m+ that circulates through BSAC every year, we need instructors able to teach this and branch members that can dive with a disabled buddy and that needs to happen without branches or worse still individual members and instructors digging into their own pockets, it's enough they give their time, lets fund this important step from BSAC funds

We need council to report back to members, legal expenses need explaining and controlling at council level.

Legal cost have always worried me I had firsthand experience at dealing with the hole in BSACS insurance that Steve Martin fell through on the Malta holiday. We were unable to see much of the documented legal advice as it was all received over the telephone.

When BSAC start spending on legal costs and I accept it is necessary, I would like to think it's about defending one of our members not about gagging them, to this end I would like to see all legal advice been cleared at council level before advice is sourced and then an explanation in Council minutes about what is involved. Any gagging of any member needs disclosing to members

We need to know who voted for what, how else are we to choose if we should support a re-standing member. All this needs feeding back in full council minutes, we are members club after all. We need a leaner keener BSAC, in a lot of ways the BSAC we had, not the BSAC we have now.

I have long been unhappy about the detail in Council minutes, I not only want council in the driving seat, but as a BSAC member I want to read full minutes that explain what has taken place. Council are responsible to members not the other way around. HQ report to council again not the other way around.

I loved the BSAC of the 90's I joined, yes we have made improvements, but a lot of the things we did better in the past when we had twice the membership we have today.
    Last edited by TrevorB; 19-03-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    Diving Officer BSAC 9137
    Leeds Beckett University Branch

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So Trev, have you given up trying to push the cheaper course agenda? BSAC courses are a loss leader already
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

BSAC Council Candidate 2017 TrevorB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So Trev, have you given up trying to push the cheaper course agenda? BSAC courses are a loss leader already
    F.O.C for the DFA is that not cheap enough Paulo, they are never going to pay to attend
    Diving Officer BSAC 9137
    Leeds Beckett University Branch

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorB View Post
    F.O.C for the DFA is that not cheap enough Paulo, they are never going to pay to attend
    Which DfA course are you talking about? DfA instructor or DfA buddy?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast