Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTest View Post
    Attachment method. Weighting.

Forgetting sidemounting different sized cylinders (I’ve got a video of me somewhere diving a KISS with a sidemounted 9L composite left, 12L sidemounted steel right, and 3L steel staged left...)

Sidemounting is even. You’re not just adding weight to one side, you’re evenly adding to both.

The attachment method is hugely different. There’s no large leash on sidemount cylinders (or shouldn’t be). The rear attachment used for stages is entirely unsuitable for sidemounting.

The attachment point for sidemounting is further towards the spine when compared to staging (this is a separate point from above).

The forward attachment point for sidemount brings the cylinders much more in line with the body when compared to a stage.

In short...sidemounting is different from staging because they’re accomplishing very different things and have different goals.

Any attempt to use a sidemount technique to justify a stage technique, or vice versa, is a bit like swerving down the road in your car to warm up the tyres cos F1 drivers do it. It’s just not applicable.
    I'm no trying to justify anything, just considering side mounting my usual bail outs (similar to Mark Chase a 10l steel full of 18/45 and an al80 full of 50%) to get more stream lined compared to classic stage rigging.
    Obviously will need to fiddle with the rigging on the bottles, hopefully they'll clip to the stand on the unit ok and I can add some bungees round the valves.

Why the difference in weighting?

Established TDF Member OutOfTest's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I'm no trying to justify anything, just considering side mounting my usual bail outs (similar to Mark Chase a 10l steel full of 18/45 and an al80 full of 50%) to get more stream lined compared to classic stage rigging.
    Obviously will need to fiddle with the rigging on the bottles, hopefully they'll clip to the stand on the unit ok and I can add some bungees round the valves.

Why the difference in weighting?
    Sidemount typically adds the same amount of weight to either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There was a big discussion about SM on CCR on the FB element of CCRX recently.

I considered it but as drag is a function of speed, unless you are scootering not sure how much it offers.

I like being able to shove my stages about to see MOD stickers, plus probably the most common staging method out there is a DIR variant so it becomes transferable.

More importantly though CBA played a part with everything else there is to mess with.

Established TDF Member OutOfTest's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    There was a big discussion about SM on CCR on the FB element of CCRX recently.

I considered it but as drag is a function of speed, unless you are scootering not sure how much it offers.

I like being able to shove my stages about to see MOD stickers, plus probably the most common staging method out there is a DIR variant so it becomes transferable.

More importantly though CBA played a part with everything else there is to mess with.
    I promise you much less drag with two 12L sidemounted as opposed to two al80 staged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12